MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I purchased a used FDE 5.0" M&P9 from a seller who installed an apex trigger kit. The trigger is very light and crisp, but it is almost to light for a home defense pistol. The seller had misplaced the factory trigger parts at the time of sale. I would like to either replace the Apex with factory parts, or slightly increase the pull weight of the trigger. I cannot however find factory components for sale anywhere. I realize S&W could do the work if I ship the firearm to them, but do they sell the components? If anyone has a good source of parts/info, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brownells.com carries a lot factory trigger parts for the S&W M&P. It's possible that just changing out the trigger return spring for the factory spring might give you the feel that you are looking for in the weight of the trigger break. The problem is that there are a few other springs involved that all impact the weight and feel of the trigger press.....such as the striker block spring and the sear spring and they work in conjunction. If I had to guess, most likely the Apex competition springs are in the gun. Do you know if the Apex trigger is their forward set version ? Or, just their standard action enhancement ? The forward set version has very little pre-travel....almost none. Another suggestion I would make is to call Apex.....they are nice and very helpful people. Through phone calls and e-mail photos they might be able to figure out what you have and possibly could help you with springs or general guidance.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Midwest Gun Works.

Factory 2.0 sear housing with all the parts - except the safety. The factory parts.

Not sure if the Apex trigger will work with the factory parts in the sear housing or not - but I bet you could call Apex and they can tell you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You also may be able to get a heavier spring directly from Apex. Its been a while since I installed an apex trigger but if I remember correctly it came with 2 springs. one light and one heavy. The heavy being around 5 pounds. If I'm remembering correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for the helpful information and links. The pretravel to the "wall" is about .25", while the reset is 1/8". The breaking weight feels like 3-4lbs. Under stress, it may be just a bit to light. If the breaking weight was slightly heavier, I think I would leave it alone. I think I will get in touch with Apex to see what they recommend before starting over.

Thanks again for all of the advice. I'm new to the 2.0 series, but I can tell that it won't be my last.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The Apex "DCAEK" kit includes the Apex sear, sear spring, the "Ultimate" striker block and its spring and a heavier trigger spring. Installing just the sear, sear spring and striker block reduces the trigger pull to 3-1/2 to 4 pounds. Installing the Apex trigger spring is claimed to increase the pull to 5 to 5-1/2 pounds.

I've never installed that spring as a 4 pound or slightly less pull is just what I want but it sounds like the trigger spring will do what you request. Contact Apex and I'm sure they will send you the spring, probably at no cost.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Blazer, I just sent you a PM. I attached the Apex spring combination chart for the M&P M2.0 Full Size and Compact pistols to it. You can read it, consult with Apex and choose the springs which will provide you with the trigger pull weight you desire. Let us know how you get to the trigger pull weight you desire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I purchased a used FDE 5.0" M&P9 from a seller who installed an apex trigger kit. The trigger is very light and crisp, but it is almost to light for a home defense pistol. The seller had misplaced the factory trigger parts at the time of sale. I would like to either replace the Apex with factory parts, or slightly increase the pull weight of the trigger. I cannot however find factory components for sale anywhere. I realize S&W could do the work if I ship the firearm to them, but do they sell the components? If anyone has a good source of parts/info, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time
Apex advises against using the original M&P trigger spring with the apex trigger. M&P spring needs a longer pull and has a really light feel at sear release on the Apex trigger. When rapid firing at reset It can unexpectedly lead to bump type action quickly emptying a 21 round extra capacity mag in about 6 seconds especially if using a light grip (don't ask me how I know this😉). The apex spring is now installed on my M&P 9. The Apex spring is wound with heavier wire to allow proper sear reset at short trigger pull. In fact apex provided 2 springs light and heavy in my upgrade kit. They're color coded, maybe the original owner didn't use the correct spring. Check with Apex on the correct spring for your kit before going back to the original trigger. They were very helpful to me on a damaged trigger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
From whom can we buy individual, non-OEM springs? Apex includes many different springs in their kits, but I do not believe we can buy individual springs from them. Where can we purchase specific, lower power or higher power springs for M&P pistols? (I ask because I am familiar with suppliers of those components for Sig and CZ pistols, but not so much for M&P.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts