MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this in the "M&P Full Size" forum which was probably the wrong place so here it is again. Sorry

Just picked up my NIB M&P 9 and ran about 250 rounds through it when I had a FTF. I got home and while cleaning the barrel noticed 2 small nicks under the chamber indicator. I believe this happened when the round was jammed and wondered if this would be a reason to call S&W? I was running WWB 115gr target when it happened.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

[/img]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a fairly new shooter Todd. What is an "in-the-white barrel?

I purchased the M&P9 at a local firearms store. The Ser.# is MPZxxxx and was proofed on 11/12/07. I looked the barrel and gun over quite well before buying and don't recall seeing any "nicks." I guess I'm concerned about the integrity of the steel but I don't know that much about it. Maybe this is common?

Thanks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
They were more than likely there when you bought it, I can't imagine any copper/brass rounds being strong enough to actually "nick" the feed ramp like that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That looks like the top of the chamber. If I am not mistaken the notch you see is the loaded chamber indicator. It is hard to imagine that happening during use. It would take something very hard to do that to stainless.

Just my .02

Dale

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
From the photo, the barrel looks like stainless steel instead of black. Am I just seeing it wrong?

I agree, cartridge cases should not be able to cause a nick like that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure what the barrel is made of... probably Stainless steel. I agree it would be hard for brass to make the nicks. I'm going to send the pic to S&W when they open after the holidays. It is possible I might have missed the nicks inspecting the gun before purchasing since they were under the barrel hood. I'll wait and see what S&W says.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you run your finger over them, are they rough, like metal sticking up on the edges or are they smooth?

·
Registered
434 Posts
here's the view.

definitely not from brass. no possible position of jammed cart would fit the nick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
loloy- thanks for the pic perspective fix!!

You can feel the nicks with your finger nail. I could probably buff them out with a Dremel tool but I won't because I don't want to screw up my warranty.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Yes, those don't look like nicks, they are gouges. It would take a very tough and direct punch to make that. I say no problems with reliability, but let smith look at it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It will be interesting to see if S&W says it is nothing or they replace the barrel. I have heard that ignored some cosmetic issues. Personally, I would want it replaced to make sure that the edge of the brass don't get caught up and misfeed. That may have been what happened when it jamed on you. Let us know what they say.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My feelings too. The "gouges" are now in the back of my mind every time I use the gun. I was hoping the M&P would be my main carry. I really like the way it fits my hand vs. my Sig P225.

I'll post what S&W has to say about this when they get back to work on 1/07/08.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts