MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally took my new M&P 9 to the range yesterday for the first time. The wife and I recently purchased both the M&P and an Air Weight - needless to say, the 637 was absolutely flawless and dead accurate at 7 meters. Now for the M&P.

I shot approximately 140 rounds of WWB through the pistol without incident. I can shoot this pistol as well as any of my Glocks, including my tuned G17 (used for IDPA). The only drawback (my opinion) is that I cannot determine the trigger reset. As we all know, the Glock's reset is quite distinct and crisp but I could not tell when the trigger was reset on the M&P.

After about 140 rounds, my wife was shooting the pistol and she experienced a failure to extract. The spent casing was still in the chamber and the next round shoved up against it, requiring the typical drop the mag, pull the slide and dump. I attributed this malfunction to limp wristing - my wife hasn't shot in a few months. Needless to say, I was wrong.

I decided to put a few more magazines through the M&P and experienced the same failure to extract. I applied a little Hoppe's to the slide rails and to the barrel - hoping it to be a simple lubrication issue. After all, this is the pistols first outing. A few rounds later, I experienced a third failure to extract (exact same malfunction as the previous 2). A little concerned over this one, but have since detailed cleaned the pistol (standard field strip) and will pay particular attention to the extractor again tonight prior to additional range time.

Hopefully this is the result of dirty ammuntion fouling up the extractor, but then again, who knows. The brass ejects as expected and not in the face as I've read on other forums. The magazine stays inserted so I don't suffer from that issue either. The weapon didn't appear to be too dirty. Has anybody else experienced any extraction issues similar to what I've explained? I didn't mark the magazines but will do so during the next outing.

I must say, I love this gun, the ergonomics are simply awesome and I've never felt a gun that feels so good in the hand. Waiting to clear this issue before I buy an M&P .40. Any recommendations on the above are appreciated.

Update: Well, after shooting 100-rounds of American Eagle (Federal) and 150-rounds or Black Hills +P I can finally say I have 250-rounds of error free shooting. The M&P9 performed flawlessly and I can shoot it better than my (cough-cough) G17 that I know and love dearly. If the M&P 9's performance keeps with the current pace, I will probably replace my G17 with it. Wait, what did I just say?

Word to the wise for first time readers, shoot hotter ammo in this weapon until it is broken in then all will be well. For some reason, the M&P full-size doesn't like WWB (at least mine didn't). Smith & Wesson did their homework on this one and I'm singing the praises!!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
tough to say, the extractor could use a little dressing up, maybe theres a piece of brass or junk behing the extractor claw, ??

You need to get a trigger job. Reset improves so much, youll never shoot your glock again.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm going to really clean the extractor tonight after work. Won't be able to shoot until next weekend, but I'm really going to run it through the paces 2-300 rounds. If it continues, then I'll give S&W a call. As for not shooting my Glocks again, I doubt that. I love my Glocks, Sigs, and now S&W's. I love them for their own little reasons.

But to be truthful, I can't get over how good the M&P fells in my hand (medium insert). I'm trying to come up with the $$ for the M&P .40. That will have to wait a month or two.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I was being a little excessive, in my description! If you feel up to do the trigger job on these thats out there, youll be amazed at the positive reset compared to now.

Also, the fullsize 40 is my favorite M&P!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 - I experienced one of those FTEs around round 820. It was the same thing as you described. However it only happened once and it hasn't happened again (over 1200 rounds now). There were several threads on this failure a while back but most people believed it was ammo, more specifically WWB related. I disagreed because I shoot WWB by the thousands and I've never had an issue in any of my Glocks. So naturally I expect my M&P to shoot it as well.

Nevertheless, there was never any solution to the problem but if you do end up contacting S&W please tell us what they say (and do).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try a different type of ammo and see what happens. It's a range/fun gun and not a CCW so a few hiccups now and then doesn't really bother me too much. Okay, I'm lying, it's killing me!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgot to mention, I shoot WWB almost exclusively in my Glocks and Sigs without issue and the M&P9 seemed to do pretty good initially with the exception of the three extractions. I'll report back.

·
Registered
495 Posts
This has been a reoccuring issue with WWB. I think everyone, myself includeds FTEs have been with WWB. And as you have already noticed we have all shot lots of WWB in other weapons that worked just fine.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
get a pipe cleaner and give that extractor a good scrubing on the back side. havent had wwb fail on mine but you can see a good flat spot on the brass where extractor is ripping them out. Good luck

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cleaned the extractor last night, didn't seem to be very dirty. I've only shot approximately 160-rounds so it couldn't be too dirty. Will try some CCI or UMC this weekend - depending upon cost. WWB has be a bit spoiled. Hopefully after a break in the M&P will reliably shoot WWB. Other than that, the weapon is a keeper. I plan on shooting Sunday so will post back with the results.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It amazes me at times how many posts there about FTEs and WWB with this weapon. Almost to a "T" the poster seems wedded to using WWB as they have shot so much of it successfully in other weapons. There should be a clue in here somewhere that something isn't quite right with WWB and the M&P. Whose fault is it? I don't know and don't really care as there is other ammo out there that works just fine. And for the penny pinchers in all of us, last time I bought lots of ammo at Y'allMart CCI Blazer brass was cheaper than WWB bulk packs. So there you have it, cheaper ammo that works, what a country.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I agree that most of the people posting FTE's admit using WWB, myself included. On the other hand, my 2 Sigmas, 9VE's, did not have one failure of ANY kind in over 4 years of weekly shooting, and probably 85% of that was WWB. A quality gun, especially one designed for the military and police, should shoot anything that is loaded into it, everytime! As long as there are posts on this forum, as well as the S&W forum about mags dropping during firing, and failures to feed or eject, then the M&P is not going to get a very good reputation. Just my $0.02............

·
Registered
495 Posts
Arizona Smithshooter said:
I agree that most of the people posting FTE's admit using WWB, myself included. On the other hand, my 2 Sigmas, 9VE's, did not have one failure of ANY kind in over 4 years of weekly shooting, and probably 85% of that was WWB. A quality gun, especially one designed for the military and police, should shoot anything that is loaded into it, everytime! As long as there are posts on this forum, as well as the S&W forum about mags dropping during firing, and failures to feed or eject, then the M&P is not going to get a very good reputation. Just my $0.02............
I think there is one thing to keep in mind regarding the WWB bulk pack ammo. This is not a duty or self defense ammo. It is plinking ammo pure and simple. If ones gun doesn't like it, so what. Feed it something it does like. As for the mag drops. The internet attracts lots of people, for some it is a great place to whine. When you see 50 people post on two forums that they are having mag drop problems it sounds like a huge problem. I think if it was a huge problem there would be a recall, afterall S&W is trying to recapture the police market with this weapon.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies. I will cease WWB usage and see what happens. Hopefully that is the issue. It's a range gun anyway, all of my other guns are already assigned as follows:

HD = G21

IDPA SSP = G17

CCW = G26/G27/S&W 637 (depending upon mood)

All other weapons are fun guns. The above have to be 100% and are so far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
UPSguy said:
It amazes me at times how many posts there about FTEs and WWB with this weapon. Almost to a "T" the poster seems wedded to using WWB as they have shot so much of it successfully in other weapons. There should be a clue in here somewhere that something isn't quite right with WWB and the M&P. Whose fault is it? I don't know and don't really care as there is other ammo out there that works just fine. And for the penny pinchers in all of us, last time I bought lots of ammo at Y'allMart CCI Blazer brass was cheaper than WWB bulk packs. So there you have it, cheaper ammo that works, what a country.

I only have about 220+ rounds through an M&P 9mm. Using Blazer I did not experience any FTE's but ejection was quite weak. Empties were hitting my glasses and the bill of my ball cap.

I'm beginning to think some of it may have to do with slide mass. S&W obviously built the 9mm and .40 platform based on the .40 (unlike glock and several others who already had 9mm platforms when the .40 first hit the market). The M&P slide is quite substantial, much more so than a glock.

In 9mm the M&P probably "likes" hot loads. I shot up my last two boxes of NATO spec 9mm a few weeks prior to purchasing the M&P. Wish I'd have kept it for comparison. I see some +P ammo testing in my future.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agreed, WWB is a light load. As for slide mass, that was one of the biggest selling points for me to buy the M&P since it was orginally designed around the .40 and not the other way around. Although rumor states that Glock .40's suffer shorter life expectancies than their 9mm bretheren, I have yet to see any hard facts on shortened life span since the frame is designed for the 9mm. But that's a whole other debate.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Fails to extract (Double Feed)

With WWB and Fed American Eagle 9mm 115gr.

About 3-4,000 rounds thru pistol

Today had 9 of 150 rounds do this.

This may well be me limp wristing BUT what can I check/clean etc. on the pistol if it's a mechanical problem .

Thanks

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Re: Fails to extract (Double Feed)

The Fish said:
This may well be me limp wristing BUT what can I check/clean etc. on the pistol if it's a mechanical problem .

Thanks
You can take a dental pick to the extractor.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts