MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just fired my M&P 9 for the first time. Nothing shocking here.

200 rounds, 0 malfunctions. I actually made a rather nice group with my first 15 shots. This surprised me since it was the first time firing this gun, and the first time firing a semi auto handgun.

I'm feeling good about this one

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A couple of minor issues though...

1. It is impossible to turn my field disassembly tool without using a cloth and wrench/pliers. I don't want to scuff the bottom of the grip...has anyone else had an issue with turning the tool?

2. I am shooting a bit low and left. I know it's me and not the gun....any advice?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Todd, that's some great shooting. I've been using a Weaver stance, due to the fact that I am right handed, but left eye dominant. Should I be using a different stance?

I know for a fact that the low left grouping is my lack of trigger control. I have a pack of snap caps coming this week, and will use them to practice at home, and mix them up to practice at the range.

I'll let you guys know if I improve.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Jeff: put a space after your "...." so that the links work.

Bravo: I can appreciate the low-left. Follow the advice in the other link and it will clear up.

With me, the LL is all shooter induced. I shot the following: gun on counter, pick up, quick sight picture, single shot, gun back on counter (you can't draw and shoot at this range) repeated 17 times. It produced the following target at 21 feet. I have a group centered and a group LL, so I know it is the gun.

Since I have only been shooting pistols 4 times before this, I know I have miles to go before I sleep...

MI_Jester

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Bravo said:
Todd, that's some great shooting. I've been using a Weaver stance, due to the fact that I am right handed, but left eye dominant. Should I be using a different stance?

Stance has nothing to do with shooting low left. I'm not personally a fan of the Weaver stance, but it isn't going to affect your accuracy.

At the same time, shooting a more Isosceles-style stance is going to be easy for someone who is cross-dominant. All you need to do is turn your head to the right until your left eye lines up with the sights. This is really no different than how a right-eyed shooter does it, if you think about it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a good point. I think I will try the Isosceles stance this week. It seems to be what most people use, including competitors and LEO.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It is impossible to turn my field disassembly tool without using a cloth and wrench/pliers. I don't want to scuff the bottom of the grip...has anyone else had an issue with turning the tool?

Seemed like a bother to remove the tool, so I use a more sophisticated set of tools: finger, key, pencil, pocket knife blade...whatever is handy.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
greener said:
Seemed like a bother to remove the tool, so I use a more sophisticated set of tools: finger, key, pencil, pocket knife blade...whatever is handy.

Tool has to come out if you want to dry different grip sizes.

Otherwise, if I'm at the range, I've found that an empty cartridge case works great. Stick it in the ejection port, use the open mouth to hook the takedown lever, and then just push the case down and out the mag well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
ToddG said:
[quote name='greener']

Tool has to come out if you want to dry different grip sizes.

Otherwise, if I'm at the range, I've found that an empty cartridge case works great. Stick it in the ejection port, use the open mouth to hook the takedown lever, and then just push the case down and out the mag well.[/quote]

Comes out every time I need to remove a backstrap, otherwise I go with the hi-tech tools. Like the casing idea.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Bravo said:
A couple of minor issues though...

2. I am shooting a bit low and left. I know it's me and not the gun....any advice?

I'd work trigger control with dryfiring. For me, I was also a bit funky on the grip: a bit low with the right hand and a bit off with the left hand. Find the "Wall Drill" on this board. It is a quick way to look at trigger and, for me, grip issues. Combine it with the shooting tips in something like this;

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm

Keep working and concentrate on the basics. Accuracy will come.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good luck with that strip tool. It gave me problems. Use the mag to turn the tool 1/4. If it still wont come out, bend an old fork so that you can place a prong on either side and pull it out. Sounds dumb but mine was a super pain and that worked rather easily..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts