MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The M&P9 full-size I ordered from Bud's before Christmas finally arrived today. When I got it home, I stripped it donw to clean and lube it. During this process, I noticed that the slide on the left side (between the M&P logo and STAINLESS) has a mottled spot about an inch long. There are a couple of smaller spots along the edge of the slide where it meets the frame, and towards the rear of the slide and on the right side. Also, there are several small silver "specks" dotted around the top of the slide. I could not remove the mottling or the specks when I cleaned and lubed the gun. Anyone know what this might be? How can I clean it off? Please tell me this isn't a factory defect, I waited over a month for Bud's to get the no lock/no mag disconnect model in and another two weeks for them to ship it.

Thanks

·
Site Staff
9,636 Posts
There have been a few show up with finish problems, not many but a few. You might give S&W Customer Service a call after the holiday, they will take care of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
DerMann said:
The M&P9 full-size I ordered from Bud's before Christmas finally arrived today. When I got it home, I stripped it donw to clean and lube it. During this process, I noticed that the slide on the left side (between the M&P logo and STAINLESS) has a mottled spot about an inch long. There are a couple of smaller spots along the edge of the slide where it meets the frame, and towards the rear of the slide and on the right side. Also, there are several small silver "specks" dotted around the top of the slide. I could not remove the mottling or the specks when I cleaned and lubed the gun. Anyone know what this might be? How can I clean it off? Please tell me this isn't a factory defect, I waited over a month for Bud's to get the no lock/no mag disconnect model in and another two weeks for them to ship it.

Thanks

Aren't those dried grease/oil? Can you post a picture of those spots?

·
Registered
505 Posts
try wiping it down with a silicone cloth

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the same small spots on my MP .40 along the slide right above the frame on both sides of the slide just looks lke finish didn't take so well during production, the spots are small and round and shine like small kind of white spots. Very small and hard to notice unless you look for them. I saw the same spots on a brand new MP 9mm at the gun store. They don't affect the pistol just the finish. R/Jet

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried taking a photo, but my camera will not capture the detail. The flawed areas are hard to describe, but I can't get it to come off. It looks like adhesive residue, but without the tackiness. The top of the slide is a whole different story. It has several faint scratches and looks like I have glitter embedded in my slide. There are over a dozen tiny silver specks.

I also noticed that the mold seam on my frame is rough. It needs to be filed down, as it it, carrying it in an IWB is very uncomfortable.

I'm going to the range Friday and I hope she shoots better than she looks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts