MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to stumble upon this and wanted to know what you guys thought about it. It's not my gun and I didn't make the video, just found it on youtube. Any idea what would cause something like this to happen? Maybe the firing pin block is worn? I've seen it happen on a Glock 17 once, but never really knew why. I would think it would last a LOT longer before it even began to wear. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeVdei0gwCM

·
Registered
937 Posts
The only reason I can think of that would cover actual manufacturer error is bad metal. It's stainless and the portion that is holding the firing pin shouldn't be prone to wear, as it's not really slipping against anything while under tension. It releases the hold on the striker before the sear releases. Since the safety is designed to rotate freely, it would have to have worn on most or all of the edge that the thing contacts in order to fail like that consistantly.

The other explaination is a botched trigger job by someone who didn't know what they were looking at and what it did. Either he cut down the safety or trimmed the striker where it touches. The fact we have heard absolutely nada from anyone else on this lends itself to that thought, as bad batches of parts generally fail about the same time.

Then again, I am of limited knowledge and most of what I said above is based upon looking at the trigger-job PDF from Burwell's site and my own experience fiddling with the thing. Maybe Dan can explain it better.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'd have to go home and play with my M&P to say for sure, but it seems to me that the striker is never in the rearward "cocked" position where the FPS actuallty blocks the striker. I don't think he is demonstrating what he thinks he is demonstrating, but I would have to verify that by actually trying things rather than just from memory.

On the other hand, that click it makes is MUCH louder than any noise my M&P makes other than actually dryfiring.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
That pistol belongs to someone I know.

The striker and plunger are both worn abnormally. He bought the gun used; and obviously someone botched a trigger job on it.

The pistol is on it's way to S&W to be fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yukon, do you happen to know what Smith said about it being a botched trigger job when your friend called? Or did he leave that out and simply say he got it used and the FP safety doesn't work?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I know it's hard to read the text that comes with the video, but sometimes it's useful. 8)

I do NOT KNOW if this gun had a modified trigger in it at some time that continually released the srtiker before disengaging the FP safety or not, so i cannot decide what caused the damage.

S&W has offered to replace the parts under warranty even though they suspect that at one point the gun had a modified trigger in it.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
FieroCDSP said:
Yukon, do you happen to know what Smith said about it being a botched trigger job when your friend called? Or did he leave that out and simply say he got it used and the FP safety doesn't work?

He called S&W and told them what it was doing. S&W said that they figured something was wrong with the trigger, but they would send a label and replace whatever is wrong under warranty. He specifically asked how much it would cost if it was determined to be a problem caused by the user. S&W said it would cost nothing. They just wanted to get the pistol fixed and in a safe configuration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I certainly didn't expect to get this much of a response so quickly! Very informative, thanks for the replies gentlemen!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I know of this situation also, and I believe the fps spring was either damaged or shortened. Just a guess, but thats my deduction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts