MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get a FO front sight for my M&P9 but I'm confused with the dimensions posted.

What are the standard dimensions for the stock sights? Is the standard front 0.16 or 0.18 tall? Is the standard rear space .115 or .130? Are these in inches?

Finally, which FO is recommended, which dimensions, and why. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The front post is 0.160".

The rear notch is 0.105" deep X 0.140 wide.

What kind of shooting will you be doing?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YukonGlocker said:
The front post is 0.160".

The rear notch is 0.105" deep X 0.140 wide.

What kind of shooting will you be doing?
Thanks.

So does that mean if I get a FO front of 0.180" would that mean it won't align horizontally with my stock rear sights?

Basically for Prod IDPA and IPSC.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The 0.160" and 0.180" are post heights.

0.160" is the factory height.

SSS will make whatever size you want.

I use the HiViz because it's a little more durable.

Both the Speed Shooters Specialties and Dawson are good also.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YukonGlocker said:
The 0.160" and 0.180" are post heights.

0.160" is the factory height.

1. How would getting the higher 0.180" be useful? That would mean the front sight won't be inline with the stock rear sight, right?

2. What's the advantage of getting one width over the other (between the 0.100 Wide vs the 0.125 Wide)?

I would prefer an orange front, but saw that Hiviz only comes in green. Do they have in orange?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The sights will still line up fine. The vertical point of impact will be different.

Also, if you change the rear to a higher one (such as the Dawson rear), then you need the 0.180" front to compensate.

The narrower blade width allows you to see more light on each side of the blade while aiming.

This can allow you to see more. It can allow you to aim more precisely.

The HiViz is available in red and green.

To get a red one, you will have to order it from the HiViz website.

The advantage of the SSS or Dawson front is that you can change the FO rod to whatever you want.

·
Registered
50 Posts
.160" is the stock front sight height.

If you want to go with a Dawson Fiber Optic front sight, and use the stock rear or a Warren Tactical rear sight, then the .160" front is what you want.

Now if you are also going to change the rear sight to a Dawson fiber, then you need a .180" tall front. Reason for the taller front is because the Dawson fiber rear is taller than stock, so you need a taller front to compensate for this, otherwise bullet impacts would be high.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jetsurgeon said:
.160" is the stock front sight height.

If you want to go with a Dawson Fiber Optic front sight, and use the stock rear or a Warren Tactical rear sight, then the .160" front is what you want.

Now if you are also going to change the rear sight to a Dawson fiber, then you need a .180" tall front. Reason for the taller front is because the Dawson fiber rear is taller than stock, so you need a taller front to compensate for this, otherwise bullet impacts would be high.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Thanks. Just to confirm, if I use the HiViz 0.160" front sight with the Warren Tactical rear sight, they should align at the top? I'm just confirming because someone said the HiViz at 0.160" will shoot a little higher with the Warren because the Warren is around 0.005" higher.

·
Registered
130 Posts
YukonGlocker, I like the sight set up you are using. Who makes or sell the rear sight you are using? Is that a Hi-Viz or Dawson front sight?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks! Do we have a forum supporter that carries these?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts