MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Newby here and great forum. I just wanted to take a minute and comment on migrating from 1911s to the M&P platform. After buying a Shield for carry And getting some range time in, I picked up a 10-8 Performance M&P9 from Hilton Yam on Gunbroker. After shooting it I’ve sold my 1911s. The safety, grip angle and excellent trigger made the transition easy. While $1,750 wouldn’t have fit into my budget, the buy it now price Hilton had on gunbroker made it a no brainer. I need to take some range report pics but I am more than pleased with the accuracy, handling and reliability. In addition having all my defensive weapons including an Extar EP9, shoot 9MM is a big advantage for me.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you got an M&P 9 that outshoots your 1911, you did good, or paid a pile of money for it. I've got two M&P 9MM and a .40 and none of them will hang with my two Colt 1911s (Combat Commander and a Series 80 Government Model).

Now, my new.2.0 .45 is another story as it also outshoots all my other M&Ps.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
As a long time 1911 guy, the M&P grip angle made shooting them very easy for me, unlike the glocks I’d owned previously.

I now have five various M&P pistols, but no way are they replacing my 1911s. I currently have 11 of them.

I use an M&P9 for high round count training courses, and for carry when I feel that carrying a hi-cap would be prudent.

I currently carry a 9mm 1911, and shoot the same pistol in IDPA:

846FFBDE-85F4-497E-875C-9FB3F214A93A.jpeg
94DC5B9E-2D8C-4ED0-AFF7-6391C7DA00F7.jpeg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear you guys. I’m 64 and I’ve been shooting all manner of guns since I was 14. I have a contender Pistol in .30 Herrett that I’ve harvested a lot of game with at all manner of ranges. My hunting rifle is built off an old Springfield action and is very accurate. My defensive pistols are for concealed carry and fun at the range. I’m not into bullseye competition and at the range most gun battles occur, my full size M&P can hold its on with my previous 1911s plus hold now ammo and is probably equal to or more reliable. The new 9MM ammo also played in my decision. From a muscle memory perspective either carrying the Shield or full size has the same manual of arms. Plus I traded an old over and under for 4,000 rounds of 9MM ammo so practice is cheap. But I understand everyone is different. This just works for me.

Herrett

·
Registered
437 Posts
One of the things I liked about the M&P was I could get them with thumb safeties, just like my 1911s. Feels good in my hand, too. Just had some issues with that first two.

Hoping the 2.0's will always work and I know the .45 shoots pretty good, too. I might put an RMR on it later this year if it proves out for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn’t pay a ton of money for the FS M&P as it was a used personal pistol from the 10-8 performance owner/gunsmith. Maybe the Apex triggers and internals (same on my shield) help along with the KKM match barrel and other enhancements on the M&P9. I do know one thing, both my M&P9 and shield are shooters and fit my requirements for CC.

Herrett

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I know that’s what they sold for based on ads and posts. I paid well below 50% of that cost as I bought it used from Hilton Yam. Like I said, I’ve shot and owned standard and custom 1911s and for me, I like this gun better. I own a really nice custom Hi-Power from a well know gunsmith and I’m getting ready to list it. With the Shield and full size M&P9, I have my needs for carry weapons covered.

Herrett

·
Registered
386 Posts
That's good to hear, I misunderstood.

ATEi was the first shop to do serrations on the top of the slide and those are a copy of ATEi's work, but if the shop you bought from charges $1700 for the work listed they are way higher priced.

The gun looks great, I'm not knocking it as I own two that are similar, just pointing out the costs from the shop you discussed are high is all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts