MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone has any thought between these 2 pistol? Want to get one but dont know which one, thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own an XD40 and an M&P9 and 9c. I love my XD and my M&P, but I personally would choose the M&P over the XD. My reasons for this are ergonomics and round capacity. You will get opinions on which pistol is best, but in order for you to make an informed decision, I suggest you try to fire both of them and choose for yourself. Either way you will end up with a great pistol.

There is one reason I might consider an XD over an M&P, that is the current availability of a 5" XD model.

just my $.02

·
Registered
471 Posts
I believe that you will find the M&P has a milder recoil also.

Ron

·
Registered
104 Posts
I actually just got back from the range with my M&P9 and a new XD9, after shooting both side by side, I am now looking to trade the XD. No joke, this was the second outing with the XD, first one with both the M&P and the XD, and I just can't make myself like the XD. it feels good in hand, but accuracy and recoil compared to the M&P are just no comparison. The M&P definitely has milder recoil and just feels right. I am not kidding about trading the XD, I have just listed it in the classifieds, so while everyone's view might not be the same, I am definitely spoiled by my M&P.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
I looked both XD9, XD9 Tactical, and M&P, and bought M&P

It simply fits my hand better, and i heard XD forum that alot of XD was having some issue with reliability.

With that being said, I think I'm gonna get either XD 40 tactical or XD 45ACP tactical sooner or later

·
Registered
30 Posts
After shooting the M&Pc I sold my XD9c. The triggers were equal for me, except that the XD saftey tab made my finger pad numb after a long session. Accuracy was also a wash. The recoil and follow up shots are what sold me on the M&P. I find the XD compacts too flippy. I put about 1700 rounds through my XD9c without a single malfunction and almost as much through my M&P without a malfunction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
XD9c vs m&p9

I've shot both my m&p9 and my friends XD9c. I found recoil to be too similar to call. They're both extremely comfortable to shoot and point naturally. I definately liked the round loaded indicator on the XD over the M&P because I could see it while aiming, instead of having to move the M&P to see the brass in it's indicator hole.

I couldn't notice a difference in the triggers between the two guns either, they're very similar.

Field stripping the gun and cleaning it is also very similar except for having to pull the trigger on the XD to release the slide. I like the M&P better for slide release, even though I have to use a tool to flip down the lever inside. It just feels safer to me to forcibly see that there's no round in the chamber.

The XD package is a little nicer with the holster that you can send back for a left handed version. That's not an option for the M&P. I got the mag safety version that was very bare bones--the gun, 2 mags and palm swells. I would have liked a bit more value there.

But in the end, I chose the M&P because of the ambidexterous slide release since I'm left handed. I just couldn't release the slide on the XD with my index finger on my left hand. That was the meaningful selling difference for me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Re: XD9c vs m&p9

deemon328 said:
I definately liked the round loaded indicator on the XD over the M&P because I could see it while aiming, instead of having to move the M&P to see the brass in it's indicator hole.

Field stripping the gun and cleaning it is also very similar except for having to pull the trigger on the XD to release the slide. I like the M&P better for slide release, even though I have to use a tool to flip down the lever inside. It just feels safer to me to forcibly see that there's no round in the chamber.

But in the end, I chose the M&P because of the ambidexterous slide release since I'm left handed. I just couldn't release the slide on the XD with my index finger on my left hand. That was the meaningful selling difference for me.

When do people really use a loaded chamber indicator? This point is kinda lost on me....shouldn't you know if your gun is loaded without needed a gadget on the gun to tell you so? The little thing on the SA XD is so small and sharp...it could cut your hand fast in a malfunction clearing drill. I just don't see the need for this...expecially while aiming.

If you keep an empty mag in your gun you CAN take the gun down without flipping the lever. Lock back, verify empty, rotate takedown lever, release slide, dry fire, pop mag, pull slide off the front. Of course w/o the mag disconnect, you don't need the empty mag.

Maybe I'm just concious of this cause I just watched Clint Smith's dvd's....but an ambi slide release doesn't mean much to me...all you need to do it tug back on the slide as soon as you insert a full mag. This technique works with any pistol that hasn't been messed with, and works for either hand. It's a much grosser motor skill, you don't need to shift your grip, and it works with any hand on any gun. This is something folks should practice 1 handed too, off a belt or the crook of your arm. IMO, this helps dial in the muscle memory for racking the slide during a malfunction clearing drill. (slam the mag in, rack...ready to fire; you have a misfire/ jam...tap the mag, rack...ready to fire *except double feeds*)

Ambi mag releases, OTOH, I CAN get excited about.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Slam the mag harder and you won't have to rack or release the slide.

I chose the M&P because I shot it better than the XD or Glock. My cousin is a Glock guy, he shoots them very well. My brother is an XD guy, he shoots them very well. I shoot the M&P well, so that's the gun I bought.

Food for thought for a Newb though:

One of the guys in my local club is a really good shooter (does very well nationally in ICORE competition). He mainly shoots a 38 super Smith revolver, but his semi-auto is an M&P9. He does all of his own smith work, really knows how to set up a gun, and is very willing to help other people. He has tons of extra M&P parts laying around, and all the tools to change them out. I really did/ do shoot the M&P better than the XD or Glock; but if it was close, if I shot the M&P only as well as the XD or Glock, I probably would have gone with the M&P anyway because I know someone who is able and willing to help me set up my M&P.

Gun setup is very important, and can be a long expensive process of trial and error. If you know someone who can make that process shorter and less expensive with an XD but not an M&P, or vice versa, you might want to take that into consideration.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'll suggest it, but he doesn't like to get rid of stuff. You should see how many revolver parts this guy has.

It works out well for me though. He has 10-15 front sights for the M&P (mostly dawson), and about 5 rear sights. I've been trying them out to see what I like (but I really want to see what people think of the Heinie strait eight). He also has 3 or 4 holsters, but I already know that no one makes a better holster than Milt Sparks (only another month or two to wait, ...yeah). Even when I compete, I like to shoot limited 10 production with my Milt Sparks VM2 holster (but I don't really care if I win, I just like the practice). And besides, if I ever get attacked I doubt it will be by a guy with a competition 1911 and a speed scabbard.

When I first got into shooting, I was very concerned with how a gun felt, and what features it had. Now I'm much more concerned with how it shoots. I think the M&P shoots very well!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: XD9c vs m&p9

deemon328 said:
I've shot both my m&p9 and my friends XD9c. I found recoil to be too similar to call. They're both extremely comfortable to shoot and point naturally. I definately liked the round loaded indicator on the XD over the M&P because I could see it while aiming, instead of having to move the M&P to see the brass in it's indicator hole.

I couldn't notice a difference in the triggers between the two guns either, they're very similar.

The XD package is a little nicer with the holster that you can send back for a left handed version. That's not an option for the M&P. I got the mag safety version that was very bare bones--the gun, 2 mags and palm swells. I would have liked a bit more value there.

I am not a big fan of the XD's round indicator. For one thing the gun is always loaded regardless of what the indicator shows. Second, if that were to malfunction, could it prevent a round from feeding or prevent the gun from going fully into battery?

I also keep reading many posts about slamming the mag into the mag well to trip the slide stop. I do not know of any semi that is designed to do this. At some point, that force will cause something to break. I have heard from other instructors that slamming a mag can cause rounds to tumble in the mag and not feed at all. This may not be an issue with the M&P's mag design but it is designed, like a Glock, to have the shooter pull the slide back and release when reloading with a fresh mag as Synergy states.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts