MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased my M&P9c and I plan on using it as my concealed carry weapon here in Nebraska. For those who own the M&P9c, have you ever used any +P ammo? If so, what brand do you like and/or recommend? I've read the manual and it says that +P is fine to use with the M&P9c, but to NOT USE the +P+ ammo as this type will damage the gun. Thanks, Troy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll give your recommendation a try in a couple of weeks. I love my M&P9c. Now, to get the right IWB concealed holster for it. I bought a High Noon Bare Assets holster and it's not as comfortable as I thought it'd be. It's a nice leather holster, but it's not to my liking. I'm kind of leaning towards the MTAC or even something similar that has a little more leather than the Bare Asset one. I don't care for most of the gun being up against my skin. Well, thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
M&Pc +p

After trying all the above (save the dpx) and more; I found the Golden Saber 124gr+P to shoot the tightest and most consistent groups to point of aim in my particular gun. An expensive evaluation for sure. In truth they all shot well enough for self defense purposes, and would probably be equally effective when well placed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"+P+" ammo will not blow up the gun. It will, over time, cause excessive wear. They don't recommend it mostly because there is no SAAMI spec for what constitutes +P+.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Federal Tactical 124gr+P HST

In many ways I like shooting it more than regular practice ammo (WWB).(Except for the $$)

The extra recoil feels "better" (more solid) and is not excessive.

Also, makes neater holes in the paper (and hopefully messier holes in the BG's)

·
Registered
475 Posts
El Cid said:
I use Corbon DPX 115gr +P. Not only does it feed reliably, it doesn't feel like a typical +P load.

+1

I'm ordering some Ranger-T soon though. Gonna switch it up.

·
Registered
527 Posts
afvet_mp9c said:
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll give your recommendation a try in a couple of weeks. I love my M&P9c. Now, to get the right IWB concealed holster for it. I bought a High Noon Bare Assets holster and it's not as comfortable as I thought it'd be. It's a nice leather holster, but it's not to my liking. I'm kind of leaning towards the MTAC or even something similar that has a little more leather than the Bare Asset one. I don't care for most of the gun being up against my skin. Well, thanks again.

They did a test recently on Gunblast.com of various 9mm defense loads in the new Compact Walther PPS, which only has a 3 inch barrel, even shorter than what the M&P compact has.

Well, one round was a real eye-opener! It was Corbon's new Powerball +P 9mm load. It has a 100 gr bullet, and was chronographed at 1,435 fps from the 3 inch barrel!! That is incredible velocity to get out of such a short barrel. When you then work out the energy value at that velocity, you come up with a whopping 457 foot lbs of energy!!

I seriously doubt that any other load can outperform this in terms of energy from a shorter barrel. Use that load, and it will be like shooting a .357 magnum, in terms of velocity. But the recoil for it is said to not be that bad, due to the fact the bullet it only 100 gr in weight.

Anyway, give it a try. If it shoots accurately in your pistol, it would be the one to get. Otherwise, also try the standard Corbon Hollowpoint too. It did well in the test, coming up with 417 ft lbs of energy from a 3 inch. In comparison,the Corbon DPX +P 9mm load only generated 341 ft lbs of energy from a 3 inch barrel.

Lance

·
Registered
527 Posts
Gee, I was looking further at the Gunblaster website, and saw that they did a review of the M&P compact in 9mm earlier this year, and tested many of these same 9mm rounds in it too. You can review the results of their tests on this web page:

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MPCompact.htm

When they tested the Corbon 100 gr 9mm +P load in the M&P compact, it did 1,573 fps!! That is insane velocity. That round has got to hurt big time.

Energy level computes to a crazy 549 ft lbs!! I only know a couple of +P .45 auto loadings that can exceed that. Same for the .40 S&W too.

Lance

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
You seem to be focusing on energy as a predictor of terminal ballistics.

That doesn't always work.

In my tests with a Kahr PM9 (3" barrel), 2 loads came out on top:

Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P Short Barrel

Winchester Ranger T 147gr.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts