MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until about a week ago I had never heard of a M&Pc 9. My Smiths are all wheel-guns and my autoloaders are now Sigs. I was a convert from Glocks. My Sigs (both pre-owned) are 9mm and I was about to add either a G26 or maybe an XD45 Compact to the harem. My son has a XD45 which I plan on checking out next month.

However, I came across this forum and began to read about the M&Pc 9s and 40s. I went to my local dealer and looked at the 9 to see what it was about. I really liked it. It may be my next and last (sure) purchase. That being said, I admit I am a little spooked by the magazine drop and slide locking back problems. I appreciate the candor w/ which you all have posted about these two issues. I'm going to wait till after I have shot the XD45 before getting anything. The M&Pc9 is right at the top of my list. - 'ole joe 8)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I strongly suggest the M&P9c or the M&P40c. I have the M&P9c which is my favorite gun. The recoil is very mild compared to the sig, XD, and the glock. Plus in my opinion, more accurate. I also have a full size M&P40 which i've put over 1000 rounds threw without any problems.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I really like my M&P9 (full size) but last week I was hell-bent on getting a G26 to carry over the hot summer months. I went to my local shop and got distracted by the M&P9c. I have moved it to the top of my "must buy' list.

However I still have the same concerns: mag drop & slide locking back problems seem to be fairly common. The other thing that bothers me is magazine, parts & accessory availability.

To their credit S&W has seemed to get those issues turned around very quickly.

coltman1985 said:
All the problems have been resolved, just get a "new" gun. Serial # MPBxxxx and later!

Coltman - Where are you getting that information?

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have a M&P9c and a G19. G19 has 30 rounds through it. M&P9c has about 300 times more than that. I'm currently trying to buy another M&P9c too. If that falls through, I'll probably get a .40c.

They're freakin' awesome guns - bottom line.

·
Registered
47 Posts
m4arc said:
However I still have the same concerns: mag drop & slide locking back problems seem to be fairly common. The other thing that bothers me is magazine, parts & accessory availability.

I have an M&P9c (MPL6XXX) with over 1500 rounds down range and have had no problems with it. This has to be my favorite compact 9mm. I have tested the following ammo:

WWB 115GR (Range Ammo)

Win 147GR USA9JHP2

Federal HS 147GR (My Self Defense Option)

Hornady 124GR HP/XTP

All of these did well with the M&P9c

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote="1.8TM&P All of these did well with the M&P9c[/quote]

Thanks, folks. I think I'm probably going to make the leap when I come back from shooting my son's XD45, sometime in June. - 'ole joe 8)

·
Registered
638 Posts
coltman1985 said:
All the problems have been resolved, just get a "new" gun. Serial # MPBxxxx and later!

Sorry but all the problems have NOT been resolved (but hopefully will be soon). I have an MPL - weak/worn mag catch (or frame out of sync not sure, it's at the factory as we speak), bad slide lock springs causing slides to lock back on the last round are two problems with the compact that keep cropping up.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
my mplxxxx 9c at s&w now for mag drop and slide lock.they fixed my 40 i think,so i expect they will fix the 9c also

·
Registered
403 Posts
Like most internet "problems" they are most likely a bit overblown. I have a M&P Fullsize and compact. I have had NO problems with either. They are boringly accurate and reliable. It appears there may have been a few early problems but I I haven't seen any with my guns. They are more than worth the money.

·
Registered
638 Posts
jon_in_wv said:
Like most internet "problems" they are most likely a bit overblown. I have a M&P Fullsize and compact. I have had NO problems with either. They are boringly accurate and reliable. It appears there may have been a few early problems but I I haven't seen any with my guns. They are more than worth the money.

It's hard to quantify (thought admittedly people are more inclined to post negatives vs. positives) but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it as just a "few" problems. To draw an analogy, I have had a Kahr PM9 for a couple of years now. It has been flawless from day 1. Yet, if you go to the Kahr owners board at GlockTalk, it seems, you are bombarded with problem posts, much of which involves more than just difficulties with springs, slide stops and the like - We're talking persistent FTEs, slide peening, and the like. Enough posts to suggest that maybe I am one of the lucky ones. Fortunately, in the case of the M&P specifically the compact, the problems appear easy fixes (springs, mag catches) and IMHO can be chalked up to the trials and tribulations of being the new kid on the block but there are enough reports (on the same problems) to suggest that slides locking on the last round and mags dropping out while firing are more than a fluke. The plus is that Smith and Wesson has excellent customer service, quick turnaround, and pays for overnight shipping. I am confident that they will do everything they can to fix any problems you might experience. And as time goes on, the negative reports will become less and less. In the meantime, there is some tweaking to be done. My2 centavos.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Yes, that Kahr forum on GT will really scare you. I have had 2 reliable PM9s. A good shooting buddy of mine has had 2 reliable PM9s. But if you read that forum, you would think every PM9 is junk.

That being said, I prefer the S&W 442/642!!! :wink:

"I'll walk to the depths of the deepest black forest,

Where the people are many and their hands are all empty,

Where the pellets of poison are flooding their waters,

Where the home in the valley meets the damp dirty prison,

Where the executioner's face is always well hidden,

Where hunger is ugly, where souls are forgotten,

Where black is the color, where none is the number,

And I'll tell it and think it and speak it and breathe it,

And reflect it from the mountain so all souls can see it,

Then I'll stand on the ocean until I start sinkin',

But I'll know my song well before I start singin',

And it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard,

It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be fair......

To be fair, I have had a lot of Glocks. Functionally, I have not had a problem w/ any of them. Everyone very accurate right out of the box. My G19 and 23 both had to go back to Glock for the great "rail upgrade". My 23s left rear rail was cracked in fact. This was about 2002, I think. Never had a problem w/ the 27,30 or 34. The 30 was a little too fat for my hand so I went to a 36. It seemed to me on Glock Talk that there were just a few of us who had 36s that functioned flawlessly. Everyone else was getting FTFs (feed), FTEs. So I know about owing and carrying what appears to be a lemon. However the .45 has become close to being too much for my hands now. Then I saw the S&W M&Pc 9. :mrgreen:

When I return from checking my son's XD45 out next month, and if I'm not completely snowed by it to the point where I 'HAVE' to have the compact model, the M&Pc 9 will jump into my inventory. If I have problems with it, I will let Smith fix them. I REALLY like the Smith and want it for a carry weapon. It is about 11oz lighter than my current carry (Sig239). - 'ole joe 8)

·
Registered
638 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
Yes, that Kahr forum on GT will really scare you. I have had 2 reliable PM9s. A good shooting buddy of mine has had 2 reliable PM9s. But if you read that forum, you would think every PM9 is junk.

That being said, I prefer the S&W 442/642!!! :wink:

"I'll walk to the depths of the deepest black forest,

Where the people are many and their hands are all empty,

Where the pellets of poison are flooding their waters,

Where the home in the valley meets the damp dirty prison,

Where the executioner's face is always well hidden,

Where hunger is ugly, where souls are forgotten,

Where black is the color, where none is the number,

And I'll tell it and think it and speak it and breathe it,

And reflect it from the mountain so all souls can see it,

Then I'll stand on the ocean until I start sinkin',

But I'll know my song well before I start singin',