MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I attended a 40 hour L/E patrol rifle instructor school. During the course of the training, the class participants fired over 1200 rounds from our rifles, and another couple of hundred through our handguns.

The range we were shooting on was basically dirt with cinders spread over it. This made for extremely dusty conditions. All during the training, there were shooters around me experiencing various malfunctions in both their rifles and pistols. There was pretty much every AR type rifle represented as well as a considerable number of pistols. Many had functioning problems. I am happy to say that neigher my M&P .40 nor my M&P 15 had a single malfunction. I was also very pleased with their accuracy.

This training may not have constitued a "tourture test", but it was a good chance to evaluate our weapons under realistic conditions and both of mine came through with shining colors!

HRF

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a little bit of time to post an update to my original post. I am conducting training for my department with our new M&P15A's this week. Thus far we have fired over 700 rounds through 7 different carbines. In all that shooting, there has been exactly one malfunction. Once cleared, that rifle again functioned perfectly. This puts us at over 2000 rounds though 8 rifles with only the soltary hiccup. I would probably be remiss if I did not mention the lubricant I'm running in these guns. It was suggested to me by the instructor of our M&P pistol armorer's training. To this point, I can't say enough good things about it and it is nothing more than Mobile 1 Synthetic motor oil (I got the 5W20 so it would work its way into the various parts easily). Between this and the quality of the M&P rifles themselves, performance has been spectacular.

Before we purchsed the M&P15A's, I saw quite a bit of speculation on various boards questioning whether they were as good as Colts, Bushmasters, RRA's, etc. At this point, I think I can say with some confidence that they are every bit as good as the ones produced by other manufacturers, and perhaps better than some. If you are in the position I was in a few months ago, and you are trying to decide if you should go with the S&W's or another brand, you can put your mind at ease if you go with the S&W's. They are by no means inferior to anything else on the market.

HRF

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm not an AR guy by any stretch, but Pat Rogers is. He makes a big deal out of running them wet with your choice of lube. If I can dig up the article, I'll post a link. He is partial to SLIP2000 products. He is also using at least two M&P ARs as loaners for students whose guns go down during class. Last I heard they have run well.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Bloodnut said:
I'm not an AR guy by any stretch, but Pat Rogers is. He makes a big deal out of running them wet with your choice of lube. If I can dig up the article, I'll post a link. He is partial to SLIP2000 products. He is also using at least two M&P ARs as loaners for students whose guns go down during class. Last I heard they have run well.

You're talking about this article he wrote:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=31

Here's a whole bunch of good info on ARs.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Pat has a long history in the Marine Corps, in what used to be Force Recon, was then a cop in NYC, and does a variety of other things now. He was a proponent of the carbine version (s) of the M-16 when most other Marines (including me) wanted to stick with the 20" barrel. But then I never liked the M-16 or the round (s) it fires anyway. I would prefer a worked over AK over an M-16 but thats another thread...

As far as your experience in class were all the AR's cleaned and lubed properly or could that have been a factor?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't speak with authority concerning the cleaning/lubrication practices of the other shooters, but I suspect that at least some of the problems they experienced were a result of poor maintenance.

HRF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts