MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot my second match today. Now have about 1000 flawless rounds through my M&P 40. I finally grooved my swing so to speak. I went from a middle of the pack shooter to top 3 on every stage. The main comment from my friends was, "Wow, you just needed a different gun!" So my HK USP compact 40 is out. My Smith & Wesson M&P 40 is in, way in. I love this gun!

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Little details can make a big difference, I would take a guess that better ergonomics on the M&P might be the difference.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Well having owned a USP with one of the early triggers, I can suggest the following things that would improve your performance on anything shooting fast.

-Reciprocating mass... The USP slide is stupidly heavy.

-Bore axis.... the usp bore axis is fairly high.

-Barrel lockup... unless you get one of the USP variants with the o-ring, the M&P seems tighter on average. this may be a push over a large enough sample, but between the handful of M&Ps and USPs

-recoil springs. The dual stage springs in the USP make the sight track funny and probably take longer to return to a meaningful sight picture.

-The mag release can be awkward for a lot of people, whereas the M&P release is easily reachable by most people. So shave some time off reloads.

-DA first shot. The USP's DA pull is fairly horrendous. Even stock, the M&P likely punishes you less on the first shot. And doesn't lose all that much to the SA follow up shots if you are focused on getting through the stage.

I sold my USP a while ago.. built like a tank and reliable, but just not a fun gun in the end.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
raz-0, excellent points. I agree, built like a tank but not that fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts