MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Re: You are probably correct...

"This is the correct theory
After 2 trips back with my full size .40 and two different "mag catch" replacements, I finally talked to a gunsmith at Smith upon the 3rd visit and he explained that there were a bad batch of frames that abosultely had too much tolerance, and needed to be replaced. After sending me a free magazine with each trip back for repairs, the last trip they sent me a new frame, and added night sights as well! The gun hasn't had one problem since and I have 4 mags gratis plus night sights."

Jagman: What is the serial number of your full-size .40? That would be very helpful.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My 40C has been through 5 mag catches including the very latest just installed last week when the gun was with S&W for a second time for the mag drop problem. I got the gun back Friday, had about 65 trouble free rounds through the gun before it started dropping mags yet again! I'm so close to asking for a refund rather than a replacement because the poll on this forum indicates that I may have as much as an 18-20% chance of having the same problem occur with another sample... this is incredibly frustrating and has really soured my enthusiam for an otherwise wonderful gun coming from a company with incredible customer service. I will call them again on Monday to return the gun to them for a third time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure that anyone is still following this thread but I bought my M&P 9mm in early May. I've had problems with the mag coming out as well and it almost always happens on my draw. The mag doesn't drop to the ground but comes down out of the well just enough. I have wondered a few times if I hit the release as I was drawing. I have the smaller grip on there and it puts my thumb a lot closer to the release. I'd go with a larger grip size but I found I don't shoot well with the larger grip. I love the way my gun shoots and don't want to give it up. I called S&W today and they're sending me a new mag catch. We'll see what happens but I'm up for sanding it down if I keep having the problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought my MP9 on 7-2-07. Since then I have had two mag drop incidents. Once during the first shot in a string and once while the firearm was holstered strong side OWB. I did two things to the mag catch to prevent it from happening.

First, I cut the button down so it is not sticking out so far from the grip. When I got it to where it was just enough to still operate I finished it by giving it a texture.

Second, I cut the step back on the portion of the mag catch that stops it from going all the way through. This allows the catch to capture the mag a little deeper.

It has not shown any sign of interfering with the mag follower as it travels up the mag tube. I do not have many rounds through the gun since these modifications, but so far so good. I figure if I messed it up all I need is a new catch and it will be back to new.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Odd that we M&P owners *seem* to be more active in trying to correct the various mag catch engineering/design deficiencies with the M&P than S&W is. All I've seen from them is trying to harden the metal engagement surface. If they would bite the bullet and get serious about reducing the thumb pad surface extension, installing a significantly stiffer mag catch spring, tightening the magwell up to match the mags better, AND hardening the mag catch engagement surface... I think these commonly reported mag drop problems would disappear... so come on S&W... you've got a potential winner of a pistol with the M&P but you've GOT to get aggressive with the mag drop problem and put this issue into deep history!

·
Registered
66 Posts
new m&p40 owner last may have approx.3000rd mags started dropping recieved new mag release, seems kinda snug, greased it. hoping to get to the range once it stops dumping snow. hope this cures it. serial mpmxxxxxxx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has this problem been rectified???

It seems like it has been happening for a long time.

:roll:

Does it affect all calibers?

I am serioulsy considering a MP .45, but I dont want to buy a gun that has unresolved issues.

thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
I don't know if the problems with mine are gone for good... I stopped shooting it and quit talking about it... probably much to the pleasure of rah-rahs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sure enough

Hey there. Ive had the same problem with my 9c. Have put about 2000+ rounds through it. I called s&w and they said they would send me a new catch. We'll see if that does the trick, but may have to send the gun in for a new frame eh?

I did the same with the sanding down, making it not stick out as far, until i hit a bit of stainless. Retextured and tried to blue the small exposed spot, but wouldnt take to the stainless.. should have figured , der....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi to all...

Another new B here...rather discouraged to here of this mag dropping issue, since I am planning on purchasing the MP 40 tomorrow. :roll:

I was reading a couple of reviews which gave it high remarks, but stumbling upon this site it may change my mind. I think I will call my local gun shop tomorrow and get his input on any late updates.

RJ

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I don't know what "late updates" you're looking for, but generally speaking, this forum is more informed than most dealers. That would include knowledge of flys in the ointment, so to speak. Some dealers don't even know about the "mag dropping issue". FWIW, it does appear that current production pistols are doing very well, and its possible this problem has been fixed.

·
Registered
406 Posts
RJ... if your gunshop is like most, I wouldn't rely on much of anything that they would say. Honestly, most of them dispense self serving commentary (non uncommonly false) and many are, frankly, ignorant of many issues which they appear to be "expert" on. I wouldn't believe ANYTHING a gunshop sales person tells me until I confirm it a half a dozen times fro other neutral parties. Between shoppers and salespeople, there is a lot of BS circulating in and around gunshops. Granted some people are quite knowledgeable and totally UN-selfserving, but quite a few are cocky know-it-alls that really don't know much at all. Same applies to the internet! ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
choochboost said:
I don't know what "late updates" you're looking for, but generally speaking, this forum is more informed than most dealers. That would include knowledge of flys in the ointment, so to speak. Some dealers don't even know about the "mag dropping issue". FWIW, it does appear that current production pistols are doing very well, and its possible this problem has been fixed.

Thanks for both yours and DHart's reply's. It appears most of the problems I have read about here are dated from several months ago.

I hope the problem is fixed, and I will probably go ahead and purchase the full size MP 40

RJ

ps...after spending a lot of time on the glock talk site, I find this one refreshing. 8)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have changed the mag release to other side & found it is a lot stiffer to push (at least so far) than before. It also appears to engage the mag more positively where as before the slightest pressure would case the mag to drop.

I'll give a couple of hundred & see how it goes,I actually don't mind the mag release with the trigger finger, think I could get quite used to it.But I will be contacting S&W about the catch operation.

·
Registered
195 Posts
34 replies and maybe 2 serial numbers posted.

I'd like to know what serial number ranges this problem is affecting. MP? Are the newest Rev. O guns having this issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
gaspipes said:
34 replies and maybe 2 serial numbers posted.

I'd like to know what serial number ranges this problem is affecting. MP? Are the newest Rev. O guns having this issue?

MP9 Serial # MPJ3853 if that helps

·
Registered
282 Posts
New M&P .40

Serial number MPM61XX

Blazer loads Approx 200 rounds through

Mag release was switched to right side on this gun when I bought it.

Test fire date was 2/2007.

and the list grows. If I had not gotten a second gun with this problem, I would have felt a little better about using it for daily carry.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So what to do?

Do most of you recommend sending the gun back S&W to fix this problem, wait it out until you "X" number of rounds hoping it goes away?, or what?

My new M&P is dropping Mags like rain in Seattle, I'm in no way touching the mag release button. It had about 400 rounds through when the problem started.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
When my FS had the issue, I called S&W and asked for a MAG CATCH, they promptly sent one in the mail. I installed with no issues and problem has been solved, with no issues. My suggestion is that you call S&W and do the same as I did, you wont have to wait for your weapon to be shipped to and from S&W.

21 - 40 of 100 Posts