MP-Pistol Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
The first thing you should do is call and get a replacement mag catch. I firmly believe that if you have a gun which has experienced mag drops, it's a good idea to keep a spare catch in your range bag.



If replacing the catch (which is easy to do) doesn't make the problem go away, you have an issue with your frame and the gun needs to go back to Smith.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
I should add that some of us have fired anywhere from two or three hundred up to five or six hundred rounds with the replacement catch (even with a second replacement catch) without problems only to have the problem begin again.



Just don't be too confident that replacing the mag catch will solve your problem. It may. Or it may not.



Only time and shooting it a LOT will tell. What you don't want to do is shoot a hundred or two hundred rounds with the new catch, presume the problem is solved for good and rely on the gun for defense without much more shooting.



I'd suggest testing for at least 1000 (1500 would be better) without having any mag drops and without finding significant wear on the mag catch engagement surface before deciding to rely on the gun for defense use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts
Brownell's list part# 277890000 with a stock number of 940-000-963 which is a Magazine Catch,

for a whooping $3.64. If you cant afford that, I am sure S&W will send you one as they have done before...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
Smith has gone through multiple iterations of the mag catch, and the current version I think is seventh (Rev. F). I spoke to the Pistol Engineering Manager for S&W last week and they are confident current-production guns will never develop the problem.



SO it's quite possible that someone had the problem, got a "new" catch that still wasn't the final revision, and had the problem again. Also, as I understand it (and this was not from the Pistol Engineering Mgr) some frames from a certain time period are far enough out of spec that replacement of the frame is the only solution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Just to be on the safe side, I'm sending mine in. I emailed S&W and they got back to me in FIVE minutes with an RGA. Now that is what I call service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
ToddG said:
Smith has gone through multiple iterations of the mag catch, and the current version I think is seventh (Rev. F). I spoke to the Pistol Engineering Manager for S&W last week and they are confident current-production guns will never develop the problem.



SO it's quite possible that someone had the problem, got a "new" catch that still wasn't the final revision, and had the problem again. Also, as I understand it (and this was not from the Pistol Engineering Mgr) some frames from a certain time period are far enough out of spec that replacement of the frame is the only solution.


Sounds like they may be replacing my frame then on the 9mm. 40 may be solved with a new catch. But that is only 100-150 rounds.



I am curious. Is it the actual number of rounds, or the number of times you swap the mag. Since I practice mag drops nightly as well as I only load 5 rounds at a time when practicing at the range, that could be why mine shows signs at a lower round count. Just something to think about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
Todd... it would be nice if what was told to you ultimately turns out to be true. Having been told several times along the way (over a course of 9 months or so and several different catches) that the "new-est" revision of the catch has corrected the problem (when in fact it hadn't) leaves me just a little skeptical of what anyone having a vested interest in the success of the gun has to say.



Better to err on the side of proof being "in the pudding". I've learned to rely more on experience than on what people "say".



Because reliability is so important, it would seem very wise for all M&Per's who have experienced the mag drop problem with their guns and who have put in a replacement catch (and those who have not had the problem, but haven't put at least 1000 rounds through their guns) is to test for at least 1000 rounds, then examine the mag catch engagement surface to check that noteworthy wear is not occuring before relying on the gun for defense. Each can do as they wish, of course, but I think erring on the side of caution is a wise route to follow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Just today I tested revision "F" of the mag catch, according to their own packing slip that came with it. It didn't fix the problem. I still have drops, just as frequent, and with all four of my mags.

I've contacted S&W and informed them about this update. As soon as they send me the call tag I'll mail it in. Hopefully they will take care of it by replacing the frame if they have to, rather then trying to put another band aid on it.

I had a lot of wiggle room in the magazine well, and still have it. Perhaps that is the ultimate cause of my drops.





[02/11/08] ETA: I sent it to S&W. I got it back a week later. The paperwork stated they replaced the mag catch, inspected, and tested the firearm. I was skeptical since I had already replaced the catch with no change. However, I was able to fire 100 rounds and so far all is well. Perhaps they did more then they like to admit to on paper. I don't care, as long as it's fixed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how to say this without sounding like I'm against S&W, but it's tough.



This is a very serious issue. This handgun is called M&P, Military and Police. How can there be this many handguns out there at the same time, a-f revisions on a mag catch and there hasn't been a recall?



This firearm is designed for LE and Military and they can't have this kind of problem.



Am I the only one curious about this?



I really want this gun to work, and ultimately I believe it will. I'm impressed with the spped at which S&W got back to me when I contacted them with my problem.



Still I just am concerned that S&W hasn't been a bit more aggressive in seeking this out and being more proactive about solving the problem as opposed to reactive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
I have read earlier posts which implied that S&W admitted there are batches of MP's out there with frames that didn't pass QA tolerance levels. Perhaps this is what we're dealing with here. It may account for the wiggle room I have in my magazine well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Problem fixed.

I got my M&P .40 S&W back in less than 2 weeks. I'd sent it in for the Mag drop issue. I'm happy to report that I've taken it out twice now in two days and the problem appears to have been fixed. Good job Smith & Wesson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
Scorpius... good to hear the news. Be cautious, however, mag drops have re-occurred on "fixed" pistols after several hundred rounds. Don't rely on just a few hundred rounds as proof of a long term "fix". To err on the side of caution, I would function test for at least 1000+ rounds; IF you have no drops with well over 1000 rounds, check the metal engagement surface of the mag catch to see if there is any notable wear. If you see little to no wear, the gun is probably good to go for defense use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Hey guys...



I am very interested in the MP-pistol in 40 cal.. But after reading these posts I am not sure about the issues

that the m&p have. Is this issue getting any better? I sure don't want to send it back hundreds of times?? This is my first

post and I assure everyone that I am not a troll.. I have shot handguns for years and I am very skeptical about

S&W quality control.. Thanks for the hospitality guys...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
TennGlockgolfer said:
Hey guys...



I am very interested in the MP-pistol in 40 cal.. But after reading these posts I am not sure about the issues

that the m&p have. Is this issue getting any better? I sure don't want to send it back hundreds of times?? This is my first

post and I assure everyone that I am not a troll.. I have shot handguns for years and I am very skeptical about

S&W quality control.. Thanks for the hospitality guys...........
You have a valid concern, but let this come from someone who has suffered from the mag drops: I would buy another S&W in a heartbeat. (In fact, I did; just last week). S&W seems to have fixed my drop issue. Even if it flares back up, in a couple hundred rounds or so they'll take care of it I'm sure.

If this issue keeps popping up S&W has been known to replace the entire gun at no charge to you. Their Customer Service, even if you never need it, is excellent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
Ditto to SCFF. My pistol developed the drops, too. S&W fixed it. S&W had changed both the way the frame and the mag catch is made. I haven't heard of a single case of drops from recent production guns.



One or two people frequent this site for apparently no purpose than to "warn" everyone that Smith hasn't convinced them personally that the problem is fixed. But as SCFF, an awful lot more peope seem to be buying M&P after M&P.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
I have to attest to not having a problem with the newest production guns, have a 40c MCP that was made the first week of January 08 and have 300rds so far with no problems.



I can say the mag release button seems to be a bit stiffer, and had heard the rod that comes up the inside of the grip is a slightly larger diameter?. I haven't had issue with my older fullsize MPJ but anything could happen.



Seems if a problem ever occurs people here don't hesitate to call S&W, and they seem to get right on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
ToddG said:
One or two people frequent this site for apparently no purpose than to "warn" everyone that Smith hasn't convinced them personally that the problem is fixed.


My good friend Tood likes to take every opportunity possible to repeatedly discount my every comment and misrepresent my statements. His purpose seems to be to gloss over the problem for those who are experiencing it. Something of am M&P "fanboy", it appears. He does not serve membership here well in this regard.



I make no representations as to whether the problem is gone from new production guns or not. It appears as though it may be, but I have no way of knowing for sure, so I make no comment in that regard whatsoever! New gun production is not what I write about. This I do know:



THIS IS MY INTENT: It's quite clear to anyone who reads my posts that my intent is to caution people who HAVE had mag drop problems that simply because they are given a new mag catch, they should not assume that their mag drop problems are gone for good. They may be.



On the other hand, a number of people here on this forum who have received new replacement mag catches have had mag drop problems resume after a period of several to several hundred rounds of reliable use. Read the threads and it is clear that sometimes, a mag catch replacement works for several to several hundred rounds and then the problem unexpectedly returns. This happened with my gun through several mag catch replacements. This is why I advise testing of at least 1000 rounds without evidence of noteworthy wear on the mag catch engagement surface before you can be reasonably assured that your mag drop problems are fixed for a longer term.



My sole intent is to encourage critical caution to those who might believe that their mag drop problems are gone when in fact they can't be reasonably presumed to be gone without a lengthy period of test shooting. To just shoot a box or two of ammo and call the problem gone if risky and, in my view, a premature call. All I try to do here is advise people to be rigorous in their testing before staking their life on the reliability of the weapon. In my view, this is just being prudent. And if by urging this caution the result is possibly saving a life, my effort will be all for good.




I think the M&P is a wonderful gun. That's why I haven't sold mine. I'm still testing it. Up to 300 rounds so far. I do think the mag catch engagement on most of the samples I've seen is too light and too sensitive, however. This may not be the case with the newest production guns. And I still say "buyer beware" as new guns on shelves may have been produced quite some time ago. All you can do is determine what the very latest serial numbers are and check the S/n on any gun you're considering buying to see if it's practically new production. Beyond that, test out how sensitive the mag catch button is on any M&P you are considering purchasing. I believe that to aid reliability of a defense weapon, its mag catch button should require both significant pressure AND deep extension before letting go of the mag. Releasing with relatively light pressure and shallow depression of the button is a big red flag in my mind. Your mileage may vary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
ToddG said:
Ditto to SCFF. My pistol developed the drops, too. S&W fixed it. S&W had changed both the way the frame and the mag catch is made. I haven't heard of a single case of drops from recent production guns.



One or two people frequent this site for apparently no purpose than to "warn" everyone that Smith hasn't convinced them personally that the problem is fixed. But as SCFF, an awful lot more peope seem to be buying M&P after M&P.


Define recent production :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
Magnum -- If you're asking for a serial number range for the "suspect" guns, I can't give you one. But I do believe, based on talking to S&W sales reps, the chief pistol engineer, and the pistol products manager that they know what caused the problem and addressed it on many different levels last year.



I bought my gun in Sep'06, serial prefix MPH. It developed the problem well past 10,000 rounds.



I've seen other people here at mp-pistol.com use MPN as a "safe start" prefix, but I don't know if anyone has really determined that's 100% true.



Of course, the problem is exacerbated by the fact that some people might eject the mags due to a grip problem (I've done in with an H&K USP and even a SIG P229 and seen it with just about every model gun in common LE use) and then assume it's a broken gun because of the history.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
ToddG said:
Magnum -- If you're asking for a serial number range for the "suspect" guns, I can't give you one. But I do believe, based on talking to S&W sales reps, the chief pistol engineer, and the pistol products manager that they know what caused the problem and addressed it on many different levels last year.



I bought my gun in Sep'06, serial prefix MPH. It developed the problem well past 10,000 rounds.



I've seen other people here at mp-pistol.com use MPN as a "safe start" prefix, but I don't know if anyone has really determined that's 100% true.



Of course, the problem is exacerbated by the fact that some people might eject the mags due to a grip problem (I've done in with an H&K USP and even a SIG P229 and seen it with just about every model gun in common LE use) and then assume it's a broken gun because of the history.


Yes, just picking at you. It is hard to tell the breakdown point.....
 
41 - 60 of 100 Posts
Top