MP-Pistol Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
ToddG said:
I've seen other people here at mp-pistol.com use MPN as a "safe start" prefix, but I don't know if anyone has really determined that's 100% true.

Where did you come up with that? It's not true, in my experience. My 40 Compact with s/n #MP "N" was manufactured in Feb 2007 and suffered the mag drop problem in a big way. Based on my experience, I wouldn't use anywhere near MP "N" as an indicator of a safe bet.

Someone's going to have to do a lot of data gathering and tabulation to be able to confidently come forward with any particular s/n # or date of manufacture that represents a true "safe bet". What people who work at S&W might have said is of no importance to me.

I'm not saying S&W hasn't put the problem to bed with it's most recent samples. I am saying that I'd be a lot more confident in buying one which was made in 2008 vs. one which was made last year, unless it was at the very end of the year. That's not a dark cloud over all earlier production guns, just a statement of hoping to be able to have much more confidence in the most recently made samples. I'd look at the fired casing envelope of a gun I was considering buying and want to see a date somewhere in the last couple of months or so, hoping for an extra measure of likelihood that all will have been done on that sample to prevent the mag catch problem from occurring. I'd also do a pressure check on the mag catch button, wanting to see that it required very deliberate, firm pressure AND relatively deep travel before the mag drops. I'm not one who favors guns whose mags are easily dumped out of a gun.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ok, then let's do this, in the spirit of data gathering: What is the latest/newest/highest serial number currently recorded by our members? It's a bit draconian, but using that serial prefix as a temporary starting line for safe pistols, until otherwise proven, seems at least practical in nature to do.

I know there may be a serial number produced 5-6 months ago that may be the actual safety line, but we'll never know, so we may as well start with today.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
My MP40 was received by me on Feb. 10th 2008. I have since put 900 rnds through it with zero problems. The mag catch looks to have no visual wear. The mag engages tight and I have even tried to push it out from the open chamber. Serial #MPP7###. Love my MP!!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Take it easy guys. Lets remain civil to one another.

I have an MPH MP9 as does Todd. Mine has no issues what so ever. However I don have even close to 10k rounds through it. We'll see how it holds up.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ditto to SCFF. My pistol developed the drops, too. S&W fixed it. S&W had changed both the way the frame and the mag catch is made. I haven't heard of a single case of drops from recent production guns.

One or two people frequent this site for apparently no purpose than to "warn" everyone that Smith hasn't convinced them personally that the problem is fixed. But as SCFF, an awful lot more peope seem to be buying M&P after M&P.

So did the latest mag catch work to fix yours, or did they replace the entire frame?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
My catch has started to result in drops every 13,000 rounds or so. Smith hasn't replaced the frame yet, though they've offered to. My new M&P (serial MFP3xxx) was finished at the factory last week and should be here within the next few days. Once I've got it, I'll be sending the old one (MPH8xxx) back for them to look at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New MP 40

Serial MPJXXXX

Both mags are dropping after shooting about 400 rounds. Drop after everyshot with both mags. tried shooting with full mags and also with only one round in mag.

I want my money back. How can they call this M&P. This gun will get you killed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Getsum,

Call Smith&Wesson and see what they say. I also have a new M&P 40 with the SN #MPJXXX. I'm interested in what they tell you the fix is.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Getsum...I feel your pain. Having said that give S&W a call they are exceptional with customer service & their warranty is second to none. I'm sure if it's the gun they will send you a label so that you can send it back in plus they are very good about their turn-a-round time too. I hate when I get something and there's a problem right out the box but it happens. IMO the MP is a well built pistol and hopefully you will feel that same if you give them a chance to make good with you. Good Luck and keep us all up on with happens!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I too am reconsidering the purchase of an MP9 after reading this entire thread. S&W may have great customer service, but they evidently HAVE NOT fixed the problems. Sending out free (duplicate?) mag catches isn't a fix. Before I purchase, I want to know that S&W has acknowledged (admitted) the problem and has corrected it. I've read of bad mag catches, oversize mag wells, etc etc. Good customer service is a must in my book, but it's better still not to have to use it in the first place.

I'd like to know exactlly what is S&W's position on this? Have they acknowledged that there's a design flaw, or that some frames left the factory out of spec?

I'm not bashing S&W, as I have four of their revolvers, which have been perfect since day one. I'd just like some reassurance that they have admitted and corrected the problem BEFORE I buy. I don't care to send off my brand new pistol.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I too am reconsidering the purchase of an MP9 after reading this entire thread. S&W may have great customer service, but they evidently HAVE NOT fixed the problems.

I'm sorry, you say "they evidently HAVE NOT fixed the problems" based on what, exactly? Have you seen or heard of a gun made in the last month that was dropping mags? Last six months? Last year?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
All I know as much as I am on here there has been next to nothing in complaints about mag drops or for that matter any other problem. There was a "short" time that there seemed to be several mag drop issues, but with more members buying newer issued MP's there's almost no problems. I give S&W credit for seeing a problem and finding a fix.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm sorry, you say "they evidently HAVE NOT fixed the problems" based on what, exactly? Have you seen or heard of a gun made in the last month that was dropping mags? Last six months? Last year?

Todd...my basis is that there are quite a few posts in this thread dated as recent as 03/08. You even have a post on 3/29.

I realize that some of these posts are about earlier production guns like yours, and I hope the issue has been resolved because I really like this pistol. If you'll please read my post again, you'll see that I was asking if S&W had acknowledged that there was a problem and what has been done to correct it. I even said this was the reassurance that I was looking for. That question has not been answered. If no guns produced in the last 12 months have a problem, great! But that's still not an acknowledgement from S&W that something was wrong and they fixed it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My pistol developed this problem just last week.

serial number is MPFxxxx

i gave the frame a good clean out last week. then i started shooting, with a bit of pace and mag drops started.

i shoot right handed, and have the mag release on the right hand side of the pistol, which is rather unorthodox but its my preference.

i thought nothing of it and just assumed that a bit of RP7 had got somewhre in there and just made things a bit slippery.

fast forward to 2 days ago where i was shooting a comp and i was experiencing mag drops...

so i swapped the mag release over to the left hand side to drop the mags with my thumb, and the mag drops stopped???

after putting 3000+ rounds through my pistol, i'd never had a problem til i cleaned it last week??

ive since ordered more from brownells, but just wondering why it started now.

will post an update when i relplace the mag catch.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Texas Solo -- if you read the various pinned topics about the mag catch issue, you'll see that Smith has taken multiple steps to alleviate the problem, and has fixed any gun that developed the problem. You'll also see that it's been quite a while (in terms of serial number) since guns have developed that problem.

HLC -- I see three possibilities here:
  1. You've changed the way you grip the gun, either intentionally or unconsciously, and that is causing you to bump the mag catch now.
  2. In the process of cleaning the gun you damaged either the mag catch or the mag catch spring. (pretty unlikely)
  3. Your mag catch is beginning to wear. By flipping it to the opposite side, you're using a different part of the edge to retain your mags. It will eventually wear, too, and you'll be back to having mag drops. Replacing the catch with the current production version should fix the problem. The current version of the catch uses a tougher steel for that engagement point.

·
Registered
757 Posts
For whatever it may be worth:

We have several hundred MPB series MP40s in service with no issues. My estimate is about 2000-2500 rounds per weapon to date. Our CQB training module should kick that up some in the near future.

I have maybe 1000 rounds (conservative estimate) through my personal MP9 with no issues. I can state that the piece has been unintentionally drop tested
and came through with flying colors and no flying mags. Anyone who wants one of those "throw it X feet" drop tests, send me YOUR pistol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Texas Solo -- if you read the various pinned topics about the mag catch issue, you'll see that Smith has taken multiple steps to alleviate the problem, and has fixed any gun that developed the problem. You'll also see that it's been quite a while (in terms of serial number) since guns have developed that problem.

HLC -- I see three possibilities here:
  1. You've changed the way you grip the gun, either intentionally or unconsciously, and that is causing you to bump the mag catch now.
  2. In the process of cleaning the gun you damaged either the mag catch or the mag catch spring. (pretty unlikely)
  3. Your mag catch is beginning to wear. By flipping it to the opposite side, you're using a different part of the edge to retain your mags. It will eventually wear, too, and you'll be back to having mag drops. Replacing the catch with the current production version should fix the problem. The current version of the catch uses a tougher steel for that engagement point.

thanks for the reply.

after doing some maths, its probably closer to 4k rounds through the gun.

ive ordered some more mag catches from brownells. i should get them soon.

i havnt been able to get to the range in a few weeks but im itching to try some more stuff out and examine the mag catch. i could do that at home, but im lazy.

hopefully it's just wear and tear. im not too keen on changing my mag releasing habits yet.

cheers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
9c with MPT prefix bought in the beginning of '08. A couple thousand rounds through it. Magazine taken out multiple times a week for dry firing. No issues.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts