MP-Pistol Forum banner

Mag catch

48K views 195 replies 91 participants last post by  Jet Setter 
#1 ·
On fullsize and compact. 9mm or 40, doesn't matter.

Answer yes if you have had a problem, and no if you havn't

I have had 2 fullsize with no problem and 1 compact no problem.

#9 ·
Once with my full size 40, MPF12XX...

Three times with my 40c, MPN31XX...

#17 ·
9MM MPBseries 3000rnds no mag problem :twisted:

#18 ·
40 Compact MP-N024X. Mag catch drop started at around 400 rounds. Sent to S&W, they replaced the mag catch, problem didn't return again until several hundred more rounds.

When I reverse the mag catch to the right side, I don't have mag drop problems.... BUT I'm not so sure how smart it is to use the gun that way when all of my other semi-autos have the mag catch button on the left.

I'm of the opinion that the placement of the mag catch AND it's relative high-sensitivity allow the mag to be dropped when the mag catch button is touched by one's thumb during recoil. Keeping one's thumb out of the way of the mag release button can prevent this, however I don't think it's a very good solution as during the intensity of a self-defense situation, one's grip is likely to be less than perfect... if not FAR from perfect... and that's one time you DON'T want your mag dropping out. So far I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of having to watch my thumb placement or keep the mag catch button on the wrong side of the gun for me....
I have no issues of this type with any of my approximately 30 other semi-auto pistols. Otherwise, I LOVE the M&P 40 Compact!

#25 ·
M&P 40 rev N, MPFXXXX .... mags would drop out, problem started around the 2k round mark. Prob fixed in a week by S&W with a new mag catch stamped with a "2"

Without doing the math I've got to be close to the 4k round mark now and the mag catch looks like it's holding up MUCH better then the old one did at 2k rounds.

EDIT - I did a search for my posting on this and it was back in Fed, so the problem started about 1.25 months after I got it. At that point I was closer to the 1k round mark and not 2k like i said.

So the new mag catch is goin on 3k rounds and holding up fine.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2472

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.