MP-Pistol Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the range today, celebrating the arrival of my CWL, I shot 100 rounds of WWB. After about 80 rounds, the mag starting falling out every shot or every other. I readjusted my grip and made sure that I wasn't hitting the release but the mag kept on falling out, even after I changed mags. All four mags did the same thing. After I shot all the WWB I wanted to see what was going on so I shot an assortment of Ranger SXT, WWB hollow points, and Gold Dots. Same problem.

My M&P has the mag disconnect so this is a very serious problem for me. Help
!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would take the mag release out and check to make sure that metal tab hasnt broken

or been buggered up. Mag release is simple just take the slide off look down the mag well you

will see retainer spring holding it in just take a flat head screw drive and push it off the catch.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
What is the serial number prefix on your M&P? Some of the earlier M&Ps had to be shipped back to S&W for this problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That was one of the three problems I had with mine before I sent it back to S&W. It's worked fine since. They paid for UPS both ways. Call them, they should make it right. This is a dangerous situation. What are you going to do, should you actually get in a gun fight? Say: "wait a minute, my mag fell out...time out"

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YukonGlocker said:
What is the serial number prefix on your M&P? Some of the earlier M&Ps had to be shipped back to S&W for this problem.
MPH.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I have not heard of a gun that late with the mag drop problem. I would ship it back to S&W and let them fix it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
MPH & the mags are falling out ..... seems to be a larger issue then.

There are others, including myself, having this issue;

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2257

My serial number is MPF which is earlier then MPH but not that far behind. I'm calling S&W on monday so I can return it and get it fixed. I thought I fixed it by cleaning & defreasing the mags & mag catch but it started doing it again on Sat.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just called S&W and they said that it was more than likely the mag cache. They are sending me a new one. I took the mag cache out and it had a pretty decent amount of lube on it. Some lube must have slid down the mag-well while I was cleaning it. Could this have helped the problem?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just shot through two mags in my backyard; did fine until about round eight
. Then they fell out each time
. If I have to keep my support hand a little low to sorta cup the mag to keep it from falling, it will have to do until I get the replacement part.

·
Registered
341 Posts
MilitaryPower said:
I took the mag cache out and it had a pretty decent amount of lube on it. Some lube must have slid down the mag-well while I was cleaning it. Could this have helped the problem?

I thought this is what happened to me ..... it was droppin mags after just about every other shot, took it home & degreased everything, went to the range the next day and it worked just fine. But a week later it started doing it again. I called S&W today & they are sending me a return lable. It started happening 2 or 3 weeks ago so I just want it fixed. I thought about just replacin the mag catch since it's only a $3 part but figured it's only 1 month old so let them fix it. If it's not the mag catch then I'll save time anyway.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I got and put in the new magazine catch. After 70 rounds, not one problem. Hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
514 Posts
MilitaryPower said:
Well, I got and put in the new magazine catch. After 70 rounds, not one problem. Hope it stays that way.
Have you had anymore issues since then? Did they give you an upgraded mag catch or the same one?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
crazypilot said:
[quote name='MilitaryPower']Well, I got and put in the new magazine catch. After 70 rounds, not one problem. Hope it stays that way.
Have you had anymore issues since then? Did they give you an upgraded mag catch or the same one?[/quote] No problems yet. They just gave me a new one, I don't know if it is different.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, my old thread! Having problems with the mag catch again. S&W is sending me a new one. I'm at a little over 3000 rounds.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the same problem

I had the excat same problem. I thought I had a bad mag catch. Dropped my mag about 4 times during an IDPA match. Replaced the mag catch with a new, did not fix the problem.

I had the RO watch me during the next match and he informed I was hitting the mag catch. I would have bet you my bank account I was not hitting it. However, I trust this guy and he is very knowledgeable. So I sanded a little off the bottom of the mag catch. Problem went away.

Let me stress I am an experinced shooter and have owned many guns. I shoot with a high grip and thumbs forward. Never had this problem with any other weapon. It was very sutle the way I was hitting the mag catch during the recoil of the weapon.

This topic has been dicussed before and S&W did seem to have some problems with mag catches. That could be your problem, however I would strongly suggest ordering another mag catch and sanding just a little of the bottom of it. It has not hurt my reload time at all and my time with my M&P are starting to exceed the times I had with my Glock 34.

Good luck and try to fire some rounds with your grip a little lower than normal and see if your grip is the problem. Like I stated before I would have told you were crazy if you informed me that my grip was the problem. BTW I would not lower my grip but change the mag catch, I know that is obivious.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.