MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went through a couple hundred more rounds in the old M&P 40 today. After cleaning it I was setting in front of the TV wiping it down, got to thinking how obvious it was that the mag was out. That meant even if I screwed up and left a round chambered it was relatively safe while I was handling it. I like the mag safety, and it's part of the reason I chose the M&P. When I unholster it to show it to someone the first thing I do is drop the mag. Makes me feel better about jacking the round out of it before handing the piece over. the word "Mag Safety" gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

My M&P is for protection. And I practice a lot, I practice to make sure when I need it, all aspects of it will be automatic. That includes disabling it by dropping the mag. The trigger pull is another reason I chose it. If I wanted the trigger pull of a single action I would have got one. I don't want to squeeze off a round just because somebody has the s??t scared out of me and I couldn't tell I was putting 3 pounds of force on the trigger! Part of the practice I am going to be doing in a few weeks is deer hunting with it. Ok, now people are going to say a 40 isn't gun enough. Tell that to all the deer that bit the dust to 22s and arrows.

I like my M&P and I think Smith & Wesson has came up with one hell of a pistol. Takes care of everything I need.

Thank you Smith & Wesson.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine has the mag disconnect too. I don't see it mattering if you have one on you pistol or not, unless you're in law enforcement. It is a nice safety feature though. I am use to the safety/decocker on my 92FS...so the M&P might take a little getting use to.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In '98 I was making an arrest when the suspect's hand went straight to my holster, which was an open top leather holster with a 1911 inside. I ended up keeping the gun in the holster but he did chew on my other hand (index finger to be specific) for a good 20 seconds or so before I finally regained control of the situation. Since then I carry all firearms in a retention holster, bianchi carry lok currently, and I prefer mag disconnects on handguns. Those who argue against them have never been in a struggle over their firearm. If I could have hit the mag release and gone for my back up or started pounding on him with my dominant hand I wouldn't have this nasty scar on my left index finger.

In conclusion... I appreciate mag disconnects!

·
Registered
15 Posts
For those of without mag disconnect, do you leave a round chambered? And rely on that? I guess I don't understand a situation where you would want to be firing but wouldn't have a full magazine handy.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
S&W did an awesome job designing the mag disconnect safety for the M&P.

Most mag dis-connectors impact the trigger mechanism in a less than desirable fashion. So a lot of shooters would remove the disco and would see an improvement in the trigger pull this does not occur with the M&P.

The reason most people like to have a gun without it is for competition. At the end of every stage you have to unload your gun show that it is unloaded then lower your slide and dryfire the weapon to prove that it is unloaded.

With a disco safety in the gun after you show clear and you lower the slide you then must insert an empty mag in order to dry fire it this add an additional step and requires you to have an empty magazine on you just for this purpose.

for most it is not a matter of being capable of live firing the weapon without a mag, it is a matter of being able to dry fire the weapon without a mag.

I can see the value of having it either way and it looks like S&W sees it as well. Kudos to them for selling it either way, just another sign they are on the right track again.

I am sure some of the more tactical guys around here could get into a real heated debate as to the percieved advantages of one way over the other but I think I'll just leave it at me being glad to have options.

PS my carry gun has it my competition gun does not.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have M&Ps with and W/O the mag disconnect. I have no problem with the mag disconnect. Sort of like it. If I was in a trench in WW1 I would not want the disconnect. But thats about the only time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Excellent explanation, Dan... thanks! I agree that S&W making what customers want and giving choices is deifnitely the right way to go. Unfortunately, as California goes to requiring it, I wouldn't be surprised to see manufacturers just build one model to keep production costs down. Hopefully new designs are being made modular to allow easy configuration changes.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
tstrenuous10 said:
I have the caution along the right hand side of my slide but I can't dry fire without a mag inserted and I have to push down on it to field strip.

Your talking 2 different levers. one is silver(mag) and one is yellow(sear).

·
Registered
422 Posts
rowe_s said:
Went through a couple hundred more rounds in the old M&P 40 today. After cleaning it I was setting in front of the TV wiping it down, got to thinking how obvious it was that the mag was out. That meant even if I screwed up and left a round chambered it was relatively safe while I was handling it. I like the mag safety, and it's part of the reason I chose the M&P. When I unholster it to show it to someone the first thing I do is drop the mag. Makes me feel better about jacking the round out of it before handing the piece over. the word "Mag Safety" gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

My M&P is for protection. And I practice a lot, I practice to make sure when I need it, all aspects of it will be automatic. That includes disabling it by dropping the mag. The trigger pull is another reason I chose it. If I wanted the trigger pull of a single action I would have got one. I don't want to squeeze off a round just because somebody has the s??t scared out of me and I couldn't tell I was putting 3 pounds of force on the trigger! Part of the practice I am going to be doing in a few weeks is deer hunting with it. Ok, now people are going to say a 40 isn't gun enough. Tell that to all the deer that bit the dust to 22s and arrows.

I like my M&P and I think Smith & Wesson has came up with one hell of a pistol. Takes care of everything I need.

Thank you Smith & Wesson.

Never take comfort in any type of factory safety device. Your brain/finger is your safety. Complacency causes negligent discharges. You shouldn't even be touching the trigger unless your ready to rock n roll. Practice trigger discipline and don't rely on the mag disconnect to save you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do all these guns come with the mag disconnect? I pulled out my owners manual after reading this post because I didn't remember reading anything on it before and again seen nothing in my manual describing it. So, I guess I don't have this option on my gun????

Thanks

·
Registered
490 Posts
Honestly if you don't like it why did you buy the gun? Yes you can take it out but it's about 3 seconds extra when field stripping. Wow. I understand your point of view but I think this feature has and will continue to save lives. I wouldn't be surprised if more guns adopt this setup.

I was dry firing mine just a few minutes ago without the mag in. It's such a great shooter. I grab it naturally with both hands so i have to practice my off hand firing a lot more now because I enjoy it. I'm looking forward to tuesday.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
entropy said:
For those of without mag disconnect, do you leave a round chambered? And rely on that? I guess I don't understand a situation where you would want to be firing but wouldn't have a full magazine handy.

I'm not sure what you're asking but I think you're asking, do you leave a round in the chamber and drop and remove the mag? Obviously you wouldn't carry like that but if, in the middle of a gun fight you go to perform a tactical reload and a BG pops up that one and only round in the chamber might be you're only chance. That is also why you do everything in your workspace...cuz you can still rip one off from there if the need arises. That is the reason why some don't want a mag disconnect.

I can't speak for everyone but either my gun is hot, Condition 1 or it's unloaded, empty and put away.

I understand what some are saying about the mag safety but I wouldn't let that make up for sloppy or slack adherence to the gun safety rules.

·
Registered
165 Posts
mag disconnect hit the garbage bin as soon as I took the gun apart. I've had two friends who have issued guns with mag disconnects cause them problems. Not a chance I am going to take.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts