MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a re-occurence of mag drop tonight. I think what happened was during recoil my thumb might have engaged the mag release button. THinking that was what happened, I fired some holding my thumb intentionally high... and guess what, I believe that caused a premature slide lock back by my thumb hitting the slide lock button. TO top it all off... with one trigger pull, I think the striker was released, but no ignition... on examining the round I saw a slight mark on the edge of the primer, but no indentation... perhaps the striker never even touched the primer.

While it may well be that my thumb caused the mag drop AND the slide lock back... needless to say, I am quite discouraged about the M&P. THis mag catch button is just too sensitive, poorly placed, or both. Whatever it is, I can't count on this gun for personal defense. I love the concept of the gun and it's overall execution is wonderful indeed, but there can be no room for mag drops and premature slide lock backs in a defense gun. And as for the striker issue? SHeesh, I have no idea.

I'm going to move my mag catch to the other side in hopes of finding a workaround on that... and/or perhaps reduce the extension profile of the button so it's harder to engage... but really... these measures seem rediculous in a brand new, state-of-the-art gun design. I really hope S&W can permanently resolve this issue or I may simply give up on the M&P line - something I don't want to have to do. I am certainly enjoying the drop-dead reliability of my new Glock 19 and contemplating buying a Glock 23 to replace the M&P Compact 40....

·
Registered
210 Posts
You can also try changing out the backstraps which will adjust how your hands fit the grip before/during/after recoil....just a thought. Many times what best fits us during shooting isn't what feels best at rest
Good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sometimes great guns don't fit your hands. It happens, and it is not the fault of the shooter or the gun, it just is. I'm not saying that there may not be something defective about your gun, but most likely it is a human interface issue.

Also, you would be surprised what can happen with a good solid grip. Ideally, your strong hand thumb shouldn't touch any of the gun, anywhere (on an M&P anyway, on a 1911 you may rest it on the safety), nor should it point at the sky. It should lay in top of your support hand thumb and they should both be pointing towards the target. Todd Jarret's video on grip and stance might help, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yohikhl9_c

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good suggestions, guys... I will check them out. I don't want to give up on this gun too quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts