MP-Pistol Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
that perhaps the "1's" are functioning better on the Compacts and the "2's" better on the Full size models.

My 9mm fullsize has a "2" and my wife's 9mm Compact has a "1"..........so far neither gun has dropped a mag...knock on wood! My gun is almost a year older than my wife's gun.

·
Registered
414 Posts
crazypilot... well I sure as heck hope that when my 40 Compact comes back (for the second time - after THREE mag catches didn't do the trick.) that it won't be sporting simply a fourth mag catch.

There's a lot more to this problem than just hardening the metal engagement tab on the mag catch that engages the magazine. :roll: I'm going to insist that S&W replace the gun if this second trip doesn't permanently fix the problem on my 40C. I can't afford the lengthy reliability testing after every mag catch replacement, especially on a gun that isn't panning out to be something I will rely on for defense/carry. And I would think that S&W would want to stop paying express shipping back and forth on these mag drop afflicted guns... that's got to be costing them a BUNCH of money.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
On the second mag catch I had no wear on the metal tab and they were still popping out. I sent it back and all they did was replace it even though I told them that there's no way I could have been the mag catch.

·
Registered
638 Posts
crazypilot said:
On the second mag catch I had no wear on the metal tab and they were still popping out. I sent it back and all they did was replace it even though I told them that there's no way I could have been the mag catch.

Hard to say. My take is that there is more than just the metal tab that's causing problems. Although S&W only mentioned the Melonite upgrade to me on the phone, I am guessing that there will be other minor mods involved with the new part. As for the sticking problem, when I took my catch out and examined it closely, the metal tab looked ok to me, i.e., no visible signs of wear or burrs. In fact it was an area that I did not bother to polish with the 600 wet/dry paper. It's amazing that a small, inexpensive part appears to be the cause of so many problems. I hope when the new catch comes out, our problems will be behind us (and not in front).

·
Registered
638 Posts
crazypilot said:
Agreed. I just hope that if it happens again, that they'll replace the frame.

They may very well. When the pin in my 40c was "walking" they replaced the whole frame. I guess the frame hole was out of spec and they had no choice. This is where S&W shines. They do try and make things right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am left handed, and was dropping the mag in IDPA, and three-gun matches. Never made it through a match without dropping the mags. I sent it twice to Smith, they would replace the mag catch, and send it back. Same problem. I finally sanded the part the finger engages down to almost the line on the circumference of the mag bottom. I made it through an 8 stage IDPA for the first time. The button is easy to get to with my index finger. I am very encouraged this is going to be a fix for me.

Tom

·
Registered
638 Posts
TomMc said:
I am left handed, and was dropping the mag in IDPA, and three-gun matches. Never made it through a match without dropping the mags. I sent it twice to Smith, they would replace the mag catch, and send it back. Same problem. I finally sanded the part the finger engages down to almost the line on the circumference of the mag bottom. I made it through an 8 stage IDPA for the first time. The button is easy to get to with my index finger. I am very encouraged this is going to be a fix for me.

Tom

Yeah, the problem is they've been installing the original design catch. I am hoping (as we all are), that the new Melonite catch will once and for all take care of things. If not, S&W has a major problem on their hands. The word is out that the M&P is a helluva gun IF you get a good one. Not everyone wants to take a $500 risk and I can understand that.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Keep all the mag release issues in the sticky thread.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.