MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When everyone say the mags drop on their M&P's is it an internal problem or external? The recoil from my 40c causes the lower part of my thumb to barely touch the mag release causing the mag to fall out. Is this the same problem everyone is having? The release on my gun is very sensitive and drops with a just a graze.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sigman said:
When everyone say the mags drop on their M&P's is it an internal problem or external? The recoil from my 40c causes the lower part of my thumb to barely touch the mag release causing the mag to fall out. Is this the same problem everyone is having? The release on my gun is very sensitive and drops with a just a graze.

Yes/No. That is precisely what is happening to me as well, but from what I read, it's due to the mag release button being too sensitive.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Sigman said:
Thank for the response Mad Max. At least I know I'm not the only one.

My mags never actually dropped when firing because I am left handed (my release button is configured for right hand use) so I was lucky in that respect. Nevertheless, the mag release (this was the 9c) became so weak over time that the slightest engagement, would cause the mag to drop. The gun was sent back to S&W and is now back to normal, however, I have yet to put a lot of rounds through it since the repair. Time will tell but I remain positive. The rub with a bad mag catch is that the problem doesn't surface overnight. It appears to be a gradual wearing problem and you don't really notice a snafu until things get seriously bad. That's why when I hear comments like "I have never had a mag drop or my mag catch is fine..." I am somewhat hesitant to accept at full face value. I like to use 1k rounds as the litmus test. If you haven't had a problem by 1,000 rounds, I think (emphasis on "think") you should be home free. I have not had any problems with the catch in my 40c and now have 900 rounds through the gun.

Remember: "Fair and balanced"

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1st 50 rounds no problem. Next time out 4 drops with 2 mags. My 40c has a total of 150 rds so far. I'm going to call S&W tomorrow and see if they want me to send it back to them.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Sigman said:
1st 50 rounds no problem. Next time out 4 drops with 2 mags. My 40c has a total of 150 rds so far. I'm going to call S&W tomorrow and see if they want me to send it back to them.

Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make before. And it seems like you don't have to go too far in your shooting before the problem appears - IF it is going to appear. I think the first 500 rounds are critical. If you are going to experience a problem, most likely it is going to show in the first 500 rounds, at least it did in my case. I am sure that S&W will want your gun back and by all means send it to them. (It can keep my 40c company - at S&W as we speak suffering from the dreaded "restless pin syndrome, aka: RPS.
) Odds are your gun will come back fine as will mine and stay that way.

"Fair and balanced"

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got my .40 M&Pc yesterday and only have 100 rnds through it, but one of the things that really impresses me (besides the accuracy and soft recoil) is how well the magazine release and slide release work. Both require just the right amount of effort to operate and I hope things don't loosen up. Also, a full magazine seats really well when loaded - a nice postive snap, sometimes one or two of my glocks encounters resistence past which I have to push it in.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Jefs said:
I just got my .40 M&Pc yesterday and only have 100 rnds through it, but one of the things that really impresses me (besides the accuracy and soft recoil) is how well the magazine release and slide release work. Both require just the right amount of effort to operate and I hope things don't loosen up. Also, a full magazine seats really well when loaded - a nice postive snap, sometimes one or two of my glocks encounters resistence past which I have to push it in.

The odds are in your favor. Just shoot the sucker.
And keep an eye on your pins especially the locking block coil pin - it's the one that engages the notch in the slide lock lever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem. S&W got it back to me in about a week, and I also sent in my Sigma .40. I walked out of the store with a model that had the magazine safety which I complained about in my letter sent with the gun, especially after the mag dropping consistently after about the first 100 rounds. They replaced the entire slide of the gun along with magazines and sent me my gun back with a new slide with the printed warning on the side indicating able to fire with magazine removed! I was completely satisfied with their customer service, and they also installed a new barrel, extractor, and replaced 2 mags for the sigma as well, all free of charge! I will be a S&W customer for life!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
onewheelreckless said:
I had the same problem. S&W got it back to me in about a week, and I also sent in my Sigma .40. I walked out of the store with a model that had the magazine safety which I complained about in my letter sent with the gun, especially after the mag dropping consistently after about the first 100 rounds. They replaced the entire slide of the gun along with magazines and sent me my gun back with a new slide with the printed warning on the side indicating able to fire with magazine removed! I was completely satisfied with their customer service, and they also installed a new barrel, extractor, and replaced 2 mags for the sigma as well, all free of charge! I will be a S&W customer for life!

I hope all goes as well for me. So far I'm impressed with S&W customer service. I just sent out my 40c this morning. Free shipping, insurance and next day air all courtesy of S&W.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts