MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Thats the thing, I haven't seen any 40 grey ones, only 9mm. I have had alot go through, and no 40's. I'll post a pic of the grey vs black when I get some.

I'm really getting tired of arguing with you 997GT3, Chainging follower colors isn't anything more than changing the beads that they melt. Grey vs black isn't going to change cost, I know, I buy bulk plastic

I'll get to the bottom of this. If there is a change, how come no one has had any problems with the previous followers.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
997GT3 said:
GaryXD, I will be replacing the black followers with the gray ones.

What problems are you having with the black ones? FTFs or FTEs?

I've been through the whole follower issue with AR mags and Glock mags so many times I can't even remember. I like to follow the, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" adage. YMMV

·
Registered
207 Posts
Perhaps someone could contact S&W to get a definitive answer. But I have not had any issues with my black followers...

Hey 997GT3, is that what you’re driving?

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK. Here are pictures. Both of these are from 9mm mags. I measured everything and the only difference I can find it the top left edge of the grey follower is narrower than the black follower. These followers are from two different molds (a 4 on the bottom of the black and a 2 on the bottom of the grey) so it could just be that. I haven't had any malfs with the black followers.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey thanks for the pics NC you are the man!

Unfortunately the sun is at an angle this morning so that there is horrible glare on my computer screen and I cant see pictures well at all. I'll scrutinize them in a few hours.

Jester I hear what your saying, and I think it makes perfect sense that they would change follower colors for calibers. Maybe indeed that's what they did, but really it shouldn't be so difficult to figure this all out. It should of only taken one phone call. Maybe I should have beaten them up some more about it.

S&W is gunna laugh when they find out there is a group of guys with their panties in a knot and microscopes in hand picking over for differences in a mag follower who's only change is the caliber it was designed for

I feel bad starting all this ruckus :oops:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
ncshooter,

Excellent pic comparison! You really came on full force with your 2nd post. :wink:

ClosetCaseNerd,

I agree, Smith is probably having a hearty chuckle at our expense. At least they know were watching them too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
jtaliani said:
ncshooter,

Excellent pic comparison! You really came on full force with your 2nd post. :wink:

Thanks, I'm more of a lurker. I only post when I have something important to add, usually someone else beats me to it. :roll:

I really didn't think there was any difference in the followers, but, I noticed something else when putting the mags back together. The grey followers sit just a little higher in the magazines. I'm sure this is because of the narrower top on the left edge. I don't know if it is intentional or if it would make a difference.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Excellent. This is progress. Just looking at the followers you cant tell, but in the mags you can.

I stand corrected.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Alright suns moved and the pics are indeed excellent. Perfect post NC!

So now the only debate that remains is, does this apply for the .40. I was thinking that it could only be for the 9mm because they realized the 9mm's smaller diameter ment that when a round was laying on its side against the follower, its centerline was not "aiming" for the centerline of the bore. This would be negated by the .40's increased width as it would effectively raise the round's centerline higher in attitude with the boreline. So maybe this is simply a revision to accommodate the 9mm only.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
OK, I was trying to stay out of this but just couldn't any longer. I contacted my guy at smith and he did confirm that they changed the followers as mentioned above the gray ones have a steeper angle on the left side to allow the follower to come up higher. The only thing this does is give the follower a little more leverage against the slide stop. In other words it helps make sure your gun will go into slide lock on firing the last round. He said this was the only reason for the change.

I know there has been speculation that this change was to give the round more angle to get into the chamber easier but that was not the reason for the change, nor will the change effect the angle of the top round the only way you can change the angle is to change the feed lips.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts