MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a MP .40 full size. I'm starting to consider leaving my pistol loaded at night for protection. But, how long will the spring inside of the magazine last if its left compressed from a full clip? Does the spring maintain its strength for a long time, or will it start to wear out after a long period of leaving the mag. fully loaded? So, what I'm really wondering is if its bad to leave the clip always loaded, or is it okay and won't effect performance? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Just being compressed doesn't wear out the springs. It's fine to leave them loaded. Repeated loading/unloading is what wears out springs. I usually change out my loaded mags every

6 months-1 year.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
Just being compressed doesn't wear out the springs. It's fine to leave them loaded. Repeated loading/unloading is what wears out springs. I usually change out my loaded mags every

6 months-1 year.

That's great advice!

·
Registered
134 Posts
YukonGlocker said:

6 months-1 year.
:wink: yes

·
Registered
139 Posts
i can't speak to much for the newer mags as with only having a couple of years experience with them. but my father has an old browning hi power that he has had for over 30 years and i've never seen the mags unloaded sitting around. the only time that they are unloaded is when i go shoot the pistol. and i have never had a problem with any sort of failure with the gun. that right there speaks of the way things were made back then. And when i reload them they are almost as hard to load them as my brand new 1911 mags

·
Registered
28 Posts
Metal springs do not lose their strength or performance until they are stretched or bent beyond the steel's elastic limit. The bending and compression associated with magazines, including keeping a magazine loaded, should not exceed the elastic limit. Drastic temperature changes and extremes could possibly take a toll on the mag springs, but we are talking about conditions you are unlikely to encounter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
mag life

A magazine should also be thought of as a disposable item.. they have a certain life span.. If it gives you trouble, get rid of it..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts