MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a double mag pouch for my M&P .45. Is anyone using Comp-Tac's Twin Mag Pouch or Blade-Tech's Double Mag Pouch w/SR loops for either the M&P 40 or (preferably) the .45? If so, what are your thoughts on them? I'm looking for things like comfort, ease of removing and replacing a mag in the pouch during IDPA competitions, and does the separate tension adjustments on the Comp-Tac really make a difference, etc. I currently use an Uncle Mikes for my .40, but it likes to jab me in the side and the tension is not equal on the two mags (one is a little tighter than the other one), so I don't want to buy another one for my .45, unless there is no real advantage of Comp-Tac or Blade-Tech over the Uncle Mikes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My favorite double mag pouches that I use for my M&P9 (for IDPA) are Safariland 079s. Get the one for the Glock 17/22 and it fits the M&P mags just fine. The M&P45 may require a different mag pouch.

My teammate Luis runs the Safariland 079 mag pouches as well.

I run 5 single Blade-Tech mag pouches but sometimes I have problems with them because their so close together that while drawing the 1st mag (because of the baseplate lip) the 2nd mag will come out too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds like you learned the same lession I did.

Double mag pouches MUST have separate tension screws. MY $40 Blade-Tech does not, so I had to glue a thin sliver of kydex in one side to get both mags to fit properly. Took me a bit of trial and error grinding the insert to the correct thickness. $40 should get you something that fits properly, but not from Blade-Tech in this case.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I would suggest using 2 single mag pouches.

You will have much more adjustability that way; and they won't be any bulkier if you use a mag pouch like the Kytac.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
I would suggest using 2 single mag pouches.

You will have much more adjustability that way; and they won't be any bulkier if you use a mag pouch like the Kytac.
Another vote for two singles. You can get a better grip on each mag and they are more likely to be less bulky as they ride according to the curve of the belt around your body. Most double mag carriers will sit rather square on your hip.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm... Two singles. I hadn't given that any thought. Now, I'll need to start over on my decision making.

If using two singles, do you find them moving forward/back independently on the belt causing the spacing to change? Just thinking about it, it seems that could be a possible problem which could then throw off timing when reloading.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Also if you CCW, singles are easier to conceal. Probably want to carry just one spare for concealment anyway.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem with movement.

I reccomend the ishot mag pouch from the store, but I don't have any 45 stuff yet.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Jester said:
You shouldn't have a problem with movement.

I reccomend the ishot mag pouch from the store, but I don't have any 45 stuff yet.
Does that mean the 9/40 pouches are in stock?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use two single Blackhawk mag pouches for my M&P45 mags and love it! They contour to my hip and are very comfortable. They conceal very well and have a clip back. Very easy to take on and off. All of this and they are darn cheap to boot!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input. I placed an order this morning for two singles. I like the idea of carrying either one or two extra mags on a daily basis, rather than always carrying two like I do with my Uncle Mikes. They'll be here early next week. And, if I like them, I'll order a couple of more for my .40. Now, if my holster for the .45 would hurry up and get here so I could actually use the pouches.

·
Registered
599 Posts
pouches

While I am far from the best IDPA shooter, I use Fobus double belt and works for, MP 9-40, XD 9-40

Not sure on 45. I use Fobus single paddle for CCW, if I carry HC .

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I purchased my M&P I got one with the carry kit Bladetech gear. While it served a purpose by providing me the gear I needed for IDPA without a wait it isn't that great. The holster is find and I may add a drop to it if I start using this for USPSA too but the double mag pouch is poor. Only single adjustment and they barely offer any tension at all. Noticeable difference in tension between the two mags when inserted. Miltiple singles are probably the way to go as they provide carry and competition use. You just add as many as you want.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE: It took just a few days to get my Comp-Tac single pouches. My UCH holster came on Tuesday (took 3 weeks). I haven't been to the range with the setup yet, but carrying with one single is much more comfortable than carrying my Uncle Mikes double that I have for my 40. I haven't tried it with both singles, yet, other than to try them on to check spacing and accessibility, which I found no problems with. So, thanks to all again for the suggestion to get two singles for my 45 rather than a double.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I love my TKW doubles, I use 2 sets when I shoot IDPA with no issue's.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Another possibility for single mag pouches is the Uncle Mike's single pouches for the Glock 20/21. I've got two of them for my M&P .45 and they work well, plus they were $12.93 each.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts