MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 9mm 2.0 with a 7 round and an 8 round mag. Have put rounds through using both. Today, just practicing racking the slide as it’s a tough bugger, and noted the 7 round mag will not engage with all 7 rounds. If I pull one out, it locks into place. The 8 round mag locks in just fine. Suggestions?....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Probably not very helpful but I agree with Floyd. I don't like the way the Shield fits my hand with the 7 round mag so I bought extra 8 rounders and never use the 7.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Probably not very helpful but I agree with Floyd. I don't like the way the Shield fits my hand with the 7 round mag so I bought extra 8 rounders and never use the 7.
I did the same thing with all my Shields. I gave the .40 flushmount mag away to a friend of mine. I still have the flushmount .45 but I don't know anyone else who has the .45 Shield so it is in the safe, unloaded.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's the nature of the beast. You can slam the 7 rounder into place. The 7 rounder should have been about an 1/8" longer, it is closer to a 6 3/4 round magazine. There is no problem with the 8 rounders.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine works fine with the 7 round. Just need to seat the mag giving it a good bump with the palm of my hand. I carry the 8 round as a spare. I bought the shield because of the ease of concealment of the short thin grip.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm with Floyd on this.. except I also added Taylor Freelance +1 mag bases to make them 9 round mags.. also keeps the mag sleeve from slipping.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Well, you could lock the slide back first before putting the mag' into the gun. But if you top off the 7 rounder and try to insert it you'd be right back where you don't want to be.

You didn't say if the gun was used or new. Especially if used, the mag innards might need cleaning. But at some point you could lube the inside, spring also, with a lube that dries, you don't want wet lube in a magazine. That might help the spring to compress a bit better and give the room you need.

Without doing anything other than using them they might "work in" and get better but since I don't have a Shield everything before this sentence is just general mag' advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
they fit tight. I bought new 8 rd mags that took a good thunk the first bunch of times to get them to catch. I'd assume the 7 rd mags can have the same issue.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Before you put the last round in the mag, take the mag in your hand and rap the mag base in the palm of other hand stout a couple times to help seat the rounds. Usually makes it easier putting the last round in. Works for me anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. Guess I just needed to put my big girl panties on and give it a harder smack. Weird the 8 rounder locks in nice and easy. Gotta admit, I like Floyd’s idea....

·
Registered
122 Posts
As briank said it’ll slide into place with zero issue with the slide back, but if you don’t want to carry with one in the chamber that’s an issue since it’ll load when you tug the slide to release it. You should make a practice of bumping the mags in regardless when you load it because it can fall out when you need it most if it’s not securely locked in. Either it’ll eject on the first rack or it’ll fall out while you’re doing something and it gets bumped and you can lose a whole loaded mag somewhere along the path of your day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts