MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have had my M&P.40 for about a month now and up untill yesterday I thought it was a very solid combat pistol. I have about 300 rds through it, mostly red box Federal and WWB.

While I was at the range I started to have some failure to feed malfunctions on my secondary shots. I initialy thought it was due to a dirty mag, so I switched it out and the problem continued. I then noticed that while I was clearing the malfunction that the mag was always slightly unseated. I thought maybe during the first shot something with my grip activated the mag release causing the mag to drop, only being held in by my grip. I continued to shoot, taking care to stay away from the mag release. I then switched over to dominant one hand firing, this way there was no way for my hand to hit the release, and sure enough 3 of my 5 new magazines droped clear out of the gun after the first shot.

The only thing I can think of is that the two mags that came with the gun completely function, and the three factory mags I bought from Bud's are defective. I have inspected all 5 mags and the internal mag release and can't find a difference/problem.

Does anybody have any suggestions/ideas on what I should look for or try to do? Anybody else have any problems like this?

And before you ask the .40 has the mag release saftey, no lock. And the malfuntioning mags seems to seat correctly untill the trigger is pulled and it fires.

Thanks in advance.

-Trip

·
Registered
113 Posts
Send it back!!!

This is exactly the same problem I had with my first M&P 40. S&W took very good care of me and replaced my firearm within 5 days and paid for all shipping. Sounds like you got a lemon. There are not many of them, but statistics demand that there will be a few.

Good luck,

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am instructing a police recruit class and one student was having the magazine problem last night. In watching him shoot, he was lowering his holding hand (left) on the grip to where his thumb would hit the mag release. When we got him to raise his hand to a high thumbs forward hold the problem went away. Check your grip.

·
Registered
495 Posts
can also try moving the mag release to the right side and activating it with your strong side trigger finger. Works very fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts