MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning my pistol again(bad habit?) and I switched my mag release to the other side. I really like this alot better. I have smaller hands and it was always difficult to quickly change mags with my thumb. Now I use my bird finger and it is so much faster for me.

What do you all prefer?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've still got mine on the same side it came on. But I use the other hand.

( I'm left-handed and find pressing the mag release with my index finger easier, plus it makes Sure my finger's not on the trigger.)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yah, see I was going through dry drills and trying to determine which finger to use that would let me maintain control plus be quick about it. I found that my bird finger worked best. I put my index along the slide.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I switched mine over to the "wrong" side when I got the gun and have never looked back. I too, have small hands and couldn't reach the release with my thumb without changing my grip.

My traffic finger works just great.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Same here. I placed mine on the right side, but due to mag drops had to move it back. Calling S&W monday to find the status on my 9mm and get a spare mag catch for my 40 for a while.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Moved mine to the right side and use my trigger or "bird" finger to operate.

Works better and also easier to keep finger off the trigger during reloads.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I'm curious, why are folks using their middle finger instead of their trigger finger?

If you use your middle finger, you're obviously breaking your grip on the gun and needing to reacquire it. The whole reason I use the trigger finger (instead of the thumb, on the opposite side of the gun) is because for me with my hand size it allows me to drop the magazine without shifting my grip at all.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Still got mine on the same side that it came, I have moved it many times and it works ok on the other side to but i just can not get use to it over there. :?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ToddG said:
I'm curious, why are folks using their middle finger instead of their trigger finger?

If you use your middle finger, you're obviously breaking your grip on the gun and needing to reacquire it. The whole reason I use the trigger finger (instead of the thumb, on the opposite side of the gun) is because for me with my hand size it allows me to drop the magazine without shifting my grip at all.

True..guess I was alredy use to shifting my grip from using my thumb. I will have to start using my index finger.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
True..guess I was alredy use to shifting my grip from using my thumb. I will have to start using my index finger.[/quote]

Good point ,Todd;Will definitely start using index finger only.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
I've still got mine on the same side it came on. But I use the other hand.

( I'm left-handed and find pressing the mag release with my index finger easier, plus it makes Sure my finger's not on the trigger.)

+1 I've been doing in on the 'wrong' side all my life! 8)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'll agree with the pack. If I shot M&Ps exclusively I'd switch the mag release to the right side and use my trigger finger to drop the mags. As it is I shoot 1911s as much as my M&Ps it wouldn't work for me. I'd be fumbling on the wrong side one way or another in an emergency.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I came to my M&P9f after shooting HK USP pistols for many years. So I naturally now prefer my magazine release on the right side since that is where it is on my USPs.

So I switched the magazine release on my M&P9f to the right side and like it.

I rather got used to doing reloads using my trigger finger to eject the magazine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
At one point I was considering making this move, but I realized that 1911 style pistols have it on the left, and I would like to one day start shooting them. I can also use the left side release very easily without adjusting my grip.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Very. Look down your mag well, and you'll see how you can disengage the mag release.

·
Registered
66 Posts
M47_Dragon said:
I don't recall seeing how to switch the mag release in the manual... maybe I missed it. Is it an easy thing to do?

Extremely easy. Page 25 on the 11-2007 version of the manual.

Just break out a flat tip and you're all set.

HOW TO

- Field strip the firearm

- The magazine release tension mechanism is located inside the magazine well (#33)

- Move the magazine release spring from the magazine release recess (#34 / #35)

- Move the magazine release halfway out of the frame (#36)

- Hold the magazine release while moving the magazine release spring (big shiny spring rod) around the end of the magazine release button. (#36 / #37)

- Slide the magainze release all the way out of the frame

- Insert the magazine release from the original left/right side of the frame according to your preference (#38)

- Reverse the steps above.

Diagrams

Link to the manual

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWes...al_11-02-07.pdf

1 - 20 of 22 Posts