MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks...had a problem I fixed myself and just wanted to share with you all.

I've been carrying my M&P40 in a Comp-Tac C-T.A.C. IWB kydex holster. I'm not a big guy by any means, but I had found that while carrying my M&P, the mag would get released while it is holstered on my hip! I suspect it's due to the mag release's ease of activation coupled with it's extension from the pistol body. I tried moving the button to the other side of the gun, but I'm just not comfortable with activating the release with my index or middle fingers.

To solve the problem, I removed the mag release button from the gun, secured it in a vise, and dremeled about 1mm off. Reinstalled in the pistol and there's still plenty of material for me to intentially activate the mag release, while removing its ability to be inadvertently pushed while holstered.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Good troubleshooting there! Glad that the old dremal can save the day yet again!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
another idea i had was takeing the holster and notching the holster where the mag release button is so its not hiting the mag release...anybody ever done that?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Pat, I can't speak to that holster in particular, but remember that if you notch out a holster that has Kydex over the mag release, you may lose the protection from it being activated accidentally while IN the holster.

·
Registered
505 Posts
i see your point... just thinking that if the holster was bumping it it would be worth a try...i personally cant speak from experience either. Im just thinking i would rather modify a holster than a $500 dollar gun. but i guess if you decided to modify the release and didnt like it you could get a replacement.

so either way i guess...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Pat, don't look at it as modifing a $500 gun, look at it as modifying a $.25 mag release

Are other folks having the same issue with other IWB holsters??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same problem, different holster...possible reasons why

Ok, today I took out my M&P 40 compact from my Uncle' Mike's Gun Pak belt pouch after running some errands and discovered that, for a 2nd time, the mag was out of the frame. I have both the fullsize M&P 40 and the compact and I swear that the compact's mag release is much more sensitive than its big brother.

I read your post about modifying the mag catch by removing some material off of the face of it to make it more flush with the frame to help prevent another accidental mag release. I agree that the top of the mag release button is too high and should be shorter, so I gave it a shot and think I did a pretty good job of it. I removed around 1mm of material and biased the angle of the face of it toward the trigger guard. I also added vertical groves to the face of it to keep my finger from slipping off when I really want to use it. Now the face of the mag release button is level with the surface of the surrounding frame, so I really have to push it to get it to release the mag. Though I think it less likely that it will accidentally release the mag again when bumping around in my belt pouch, I've formed the following opinions on the issue:

1. In comparison with my Glocks, etc., the M&P's mag catch rod spring seems weaker and much easier to move. I think S&W should switch to using a heaver mag catch rod spring so it takes significantly more force to push the mag catch in.

2. The metal part of the mag catch that actually holds the mag in place seems far too short in its catch blade's dimension, and does not protrude far enough into the magazine's catch slot, which unfortunately results in just a slight depression of the mag release, or vibration from recoil, to be sufficient enough to allow the mag to fall free. On all of my other Sig, Glock and Ruger autos, the mag catch button must be depressed a good 1/8 of an inch or more before the mag will release. I'd be surprised if my M&P compact's mag catch needs more than 1/32 of an inch of depression before the mag will release.

Clearly as evidenced by the posts on this forum, the current mag-catch design seems to be a design weak-point that needs to be reworked by S&W. I never had such issues with my other autos and hope that they come up with a real fix for it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yet another thing I noticed

I also just noticed that my fullsize M&P 40 has a Rev 2 (works great) mag release and that my 40c has a Rev 1 (less than satisfactory) release!

You can check the Rev number by looking at the underside of the catch by holding the pistol on its side with the bottom of the magazine well opening toward you. The number is in the little circle depression molded into the bottom of the release button.

·
Registered
270 Posts
PATM&P...I had cut a notch in my High Noon "Hidden Alley" IWB to clear the mag release..I didn't have a problem with it before nor do I now, but I'd rather be safe and notch it,than to have the release pressed by the holster.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Perhaps my viewpoint is skewed, but the holster(s) should be made to fit the weapon. You shouldn't have to modify the weapon for the sake of the holster. There have been such issues in the past: a duty holster that would rock the safety of a 1911 to off, another that will disassemble a Berretta 92 etc. The duty holster was removed from production, the other example got a big label about Berrettas.

Remember guys, the M&P was designed as a duty pistol, to be worn in a substantial holster. Throwing one (or any striker fired pistols) in fanny packs, chicken skin holsters and the like isn't a real good idea.

Take a real good look at the number of extended magazine releases/reduced tension release springs sold for the 1911 before you complain too loudly. But, could be a good product improvement suggestion.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Here is a copy of a letter I E-mail to Smith last night. I will post their response when it arrives.

I have 2 M&P's, a 9 and a 9c, S/N's MPE xxxx and MPLxxx respectively. I am concerned that the mag release only takes a slight movement to release the magazine. On my wife's Compact the mag release only has to be pushed in about 1/16 of an inch and the mag will fall from the gun. My full size 9 requires just a bit more. I am concerned that the mag release could be engaged by holstering or by inadvertently pushing it in slightly while firing the gun. To me it seems the metal tab that engages the magazine is a bit on the short side. I purchased my 9 full size on May 22, 2006, and the metal tab on the mag release is all ready showing signs of wear.

There has been much discussion of this topic on the M&P Forum website, and there are people reporting the mags falling out while drawing the pistol from a holster or else dropping a mag while firing.

Are you aware of this concern and is there a "Fix" for this potential problem? Both my wife and I carry concealed and depend on these pistols to function if called upon. The thought of the mag falling out at the wrong time is a bit disconcerting.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I love these pistols, but sadly this is another M&P defect. I have sent my 40 full back twice for the aame problem. When firing a full magazine, as the magazine begins to empty, somewhere around the 12th round, the mag pops free, doesn't fall out but just pops from the catch, fails to feed the next round and of course requires a Tap rack bang.

My .40 that I drilled less than 1" holes at 7 and 12' today, and the one I just got back for the second time, was doing it again today at the beginning of my range session. I'm gonna do a seperate post on it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
There's a new post in a different thread. Apparently, there have been some bad magazine catches due to manufacturing issues. There have been changes in the manufacturing methods to correct the issue. Contact customer service and ask about laser cut magazine catches.

This isn't quite the same as the issue that launched the thread, but the result may be the same. It may also be the resolution for some of the postings on this thread.

We have over 100 M&P pistols in service and to the best of my knowledge, haven't had any issues with magazine catches. Most of our pistols are approaching 1000 rounds, may exceed that level-we haven't been keeping a real close count.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts