MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the steps to remove the magazine safety, step 7 requires finding another spring of the proper length and diameter. This could be tough to get just right; I don't have a lot of springs laying around my house. My idea: simply find a washer of the proper thickness, to take up the space for the mag disconnector "arm" that is removed. Would this be an easier method than finding the perfect spring to fill the gap??

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I have done it both ways. The nice thing about the spring is it does not have to be perfect. Just little to long and you can compress it. With a solid piece it needs to be pretty much right on the money.

CHECK 360 David Bowie

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I can understand needing the perfect size washer to fill the gap... probably because the factory spring that's in there is not really putting much sideways force on the mag disconnector "arm"? From the pictures, it looks like the spring is there to cause that "arm" to move up or down, rather than press it into its place.

I was thinking that it is easy to go to the hardware store to find many different washers to choose from. I don't know where I would go to find an assortment of springs to make this work. Any ideas for a store like that? How about the springs used in "clickable" ballpoint pens, cut to size?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just picked up my new M&P9 today and I want to remove the Mag safety/dissconnect.

After reading through a few posts regarding this topic ( longer spring/washer methods) can you simple "cut " the disconnect arm off and file /polish the cut off area instead of trying to locate the proper thickness washer or proper length spring???

I don't plan on ever having this pistol with a mag disconnect safety.

I can build M14s, but pistolsmithing is new to me......... :roll:

Thx.

Evil666.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The spring doesn't need to be "perfect" as Mr. Bowie said if it is long you can just compress it. I use 1911 mag springs cut into 3rds works well for me. I have also heard of people having success using springs out of a ball point pen. All it has to be is large enough to allow the pin through small enough to fit into the block then you can trim it to length.

The washer idea will work but you are going to have blast trying to get them all to line up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ignore my post above. :oops:

After closer inspection I see that you can not simply trim off the "Arm".

Maybe I will have to bug Slavex and get him to give me a hand........ :wink:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I found some compression springs at Ace Hardware that are nearly the exact size of the spring needed. They are about 1" long, so I will have to cut them.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Evil666 said:
Ignore my post above. :oops: After closer inspection I see that you can not simply trim off the "Arm".

Well, you could but then the gun won't fire with or without the magazine. Not exactly an improvement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts