MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would think this would have a thread already but searching for it basically brings up every thread

I wanted to hear some Pro/Con on having the Mag Safety.. mainly cause I ordered to have a 9mm w/ night sights and no safety's and the one that came in had the sights but also all the safety.. so I'm debating picking that one up or waiting to get the no safety one in.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
All my M&P's have the mag safety simply because I liked the option. It is simply a preference, some like it for obvious safety reasons. Some don't like it because its a pain to do dry-fire drills. I liked it, but to be honest I think I will have Dan Burwell remove them when I send mine off for trigger jobs. Its all a matter of what you want to use it for, most LEO's will tell you not to get it. As my CCW instructor harassed me about my "Politically Correct Gun" I knew I needed to rethink my reasoning. So, IMHO I would stick with your current option of NOT having a mag safety. Just my .02 cents...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What came to mind for me was the typical movie scene where you're in a situation and you are asked to drop your gun..you drop the mag but little do they know one is in the chamber and it will STILL fire...

:twisted:

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
MTech said:
What came to mind for me was the typical movie scene where you're in a situation and you are asked to drop your gun..you drop the mag but little do they know one is in the chamber and it will STILL fire...

Again brother, thats in the movies...

·
Registered
231 Posts
MTech said:

Indeed because we all know that should we be involved in a shooting it will be as movie style action as possible all topped off with Arnold the govenator running in just in time with to desert eagles in order to save your butt while saying something catchy like "dont blow your top, arrrrgh" while shooting nothing but head shots...

For me the thought of close courters came to mind with someone trying to pull my gun from its holster.. The majority of Officers killed via gun wounds are killed with their own gun... and i like the option of having that mag drop as yet another way of weapon retention...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was my point... it doesn't seem like it's very practical / much need to not have it there other than only in a movie scenario.. and even still if it's so easy to take it off than why doesn't everybody order it with the safety and than remove it since they all complain about the gold lettering?

and PPC, are you saying yo ulike having the safety cause if that happened you could always drop the mag in a scuffle and not have to worry about it being able to be fired or??

·
Registered
231 Posts
MTech said:
That was my point... it doesn't seem like it's very practical / much need to not have it there other than only in a movie scenario.. and even still if it's so easy to take it off than why doesn't everybody order it with the safety and than remove it since they all complain about the gold lettering?

and PPC, are you saying yo ulike having the safety cause if that happened you could always drop the mag in a scuffle and not have to worry about it being able to be fired or??

No... but its nice to have that option available should that circumstance arise... Its better to have it and not need it than to not have it when you need it...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I look at it this way. I work security and lord forbid some one gets my gun out of my hands i can hit the mag release, and hopefully live to see another day.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I don't like the mag safety. My state requires both of my M&Ps to have it, but I'll be switching out the sear housing assemblies. I prefer to dry-fire sans magazine, and I also like the option of being able to reload a fresh mag knowing I still have the ability to fire during the process. Some like it because in a struggle for the weapon the mag can be theoretically dropped preventing the BG from killing you, but it works the other way around as well.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
910 Posts
If someone successfully gains control of your weapon, just how do you plan on pressing the mag release? And if you're still in control of the weapon what on earth would make you decide to press the mag release rendering your weapon completely useless against an aggressive attacker?

A struggle for the weapon? Distance is your friend. Take a few steps back so an attacker can't get close enough to even attempt to gain control. Oh, and don't forget the two to the chest, and one to the head. :wink:

No mag safety for me. If by some slim chance in hell my gun is removed from my hands by an attacker my wife will be right next to me shooting the sumbitch who took it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
mine has a mag safety... I'd rather have the safety (which I can remove
) than the an ugly writing on the slide. I've never been a fan of the mag disconect safeties, but now that I have a gun with that has one I don't really care

btw one thing I like about 92FS is that you can still load it thu the slide - single shot even if you don't have a magazine. But if you're in a fight and someone is trying to take your gun away mag safety is not a bad thing to have.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
mine has a mag safety... I'd rather have the safety (which I can remove
) than the ugly writng on the slide. I'vee never been a fan of the mag disconect safeties, but not that I have a gun with that has one I don't really care

You can always get that writing removed too! Slide blast/teflon coating.

But in all seriousness I wouldn't care one way or the other if it came down to it. I'd take a gun with or without the mag safety.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine dosen't have it, and I got the last one w/o it, because if I'm down to just one last bullet laying on the ground I want to be able to shoot it magizine or no. It might just save my life some day.

·
Registered
119 Posts
bluethunder said:
Mine dosen't have it, and I got the last one w/o it, because if I'm down to just one last bullet laying on the ground I want to be able to shoot it magizine or no. It might just save my life some day.

Try loading just one bullet into the chamber without a magazine. It cannot be done, atleast with my M&P. The extractor will not "spring out" and come back around the rim of the case. Instead, the extractor sits against the rear of the shell casing and prevents the slide from locking.

You will need a magazine to load even just one bullet into your M&P.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
by the time you did that you'd be dead anyway and if you had time to do it than you'd be able to load it and put the mag back in too.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
moxie1c said:
[quote name='bluethunder']Mine dosen't have it, and I got the last one w/o it, because if I'm down to just one last bullet laying on the ground I want to be able to shoot it magizine or no. It might just save my life some day.

Try loading just one bullet into the chamber without a magazine. It cannot be done, atleast with my M&P. The extractor will not "spring out" and come back around the rim of the case. Instead, the extractor sits against the rear of the shell casing and prevents the slide from locking.

You will need a magazine to load even just one bullet into your M&P.[/quote]

I think you may want to retract this on the grounds that it CAN be done.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I like having the mag safety

I have the mag safety and really think its a great feature. It was actually a selling point for me.

of course, the M&P is my first firearm so I can't really make the comparison between having vs not having such a mechanism. Since it the only way i know, it just makes sense to me.

I don't really see the benefit of being able to fire without the magazine but I do understand the liability of it.

For me, its like this: I'm not dumb enough to use my microwave oven with the door open but I'm glad that the appliance can't be started without first shutting the door.

Or a better example: I AM dumb enough to lock my keys in the car - my new car disables the power locks if the key is in the ignition and the drivers side door is open. For me, thats a feature.

The Mag Release may have come about because of the PC policing nanny state, but then again, so did seat belts.

·
Registered
264 Posts
As Morgan stated, its all a matter of personal preference. I dont like the diconnect. The only defensive gun I ever had with one was a HiPower and it was a pain in the ass. My P22 is a PITA. I can understand the benefits that some list wrt to take aways, but at this time I dont see that as being a large threat for me and my situation. I like to clean with no mags around, just as a safety precaution. With the P22 I am always having to go dig in my range bag for the mag to lower the hammer, just a PITA.

ON a different note, if youre worried about take aways, make sure you lear some retention techniques and dont solely rely on the disconnect feature.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts