MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a mag sleeve to use on the full size 9mm mag to adapt it to the compact grip like the XD compact has?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not yet, but I have this crazy idea of fabricating something with moldable epoxy. Tape two layers of paper towel on the mag to get it to slide off after it sets, and thoroughly cover everything that you don't want the epoxy sticking to with saran wrap or masking tape. I don't have a full size mag to try it with, but I'd be willing to try it out if I had the full size mag. Moldable epoxy can be found in most hardware stores and sets quite hard. Being cognizant of safety isses, if it works fine it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Major warning having used the basic method described above to do other things.

Do not rely on saran wrap. As it cures, the moldable epoxy become hot. Hot enough the plastic wrap won't do it's job properly. Aluminum foil worked much better for me. I'd also be a tad concerned about the basepads and followers getting warmer than they might like.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I too would love to see these produced.

As an aside, are there pictures of a compact with a full size mag in? I just want to see how much of a difference there is.

THanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks raz-0, I hadn't thought about the heat aspect of the epoxy, like I said it was a crazy idea. The smaller amounts of epoxy I've worked with don't get very hot, though in the volume that would be used to mold a part the heat factor would be significanty increased.

raz-0 said:
Major warning having used the basic method described above to do other things.

Do not rely on saran wrap. As it cures, the moldable epoxy become hot. Hot enough the plastic wrap won't do it's job properly. Aluminum foil worked much better for me. I'd also be a tad concerned about the basepads and followers getting warmer than they might like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts