MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody experienced difficulty inserting fully loaded mags with one in the chamber?

The magazine seems to catch about 1/2 way down the grip.

This is quite frustrating considering I have never experienced this kind of problem...<200 rounds thru the pistol at this point, but it's always felt "tight" and now started sticking on insertion.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
559 Posts
Mike - The .45 mags take some time to break in. I've got the original two that came with the gun, two I bought from Brownell's, and the two free ones from S&W, and the original two are the tightest. It probably has to do with the fact that I tested those with my carry ammo, loaded them up and left them that way, but used the other four for practice and matches. The loading and unloading is what wears/breaks them in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
revchuck said:
Mike - The .45 mags take some time to break in. I've got the original two that came with the gun, two I bought from Brownell's, and the two free ones from S&W, and the original two are the tightest. It probably has to do with the fact that I tested those with my carry ammo, loaded them up and left them that way, but used the other four for practice and matches. The loading and unloading is what wears/breaks them in.

Thanks Chuck, I hope thats it...

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had the same problem until I sat down one night to watch Tombstone(for the 500th time...Great movie) and loaded and reloaded both my mags ALOT. I probably did it 50 times on each mag. Helped alot....and saved ammo.

* The Mercury has been around 20 in the day and -4 at night...Not the greatest shooting weather. I went out this morning a put 30 into an abandened fridge and that was long enough.*

·
Registered
117 Posts
mpardun said:
Has anybody experienced difficulty inserting fully loaded mags with one in the chamber?

The magazine seems to catch about 1/2 way down the grip.

This is quite frustrating considering I have never experienced this kind of problem...<200 rounds thru the pistol at this point, but it's always felt "tight" and now started sticking on insertion.

Thanks,

Mike

Is this two diff questions? Are you:

1) having trouble pushing the mag in the last 1/2" with a new, fully loaded mag? Slide on? Slide off? Either?

2) or are you saying that as you insert the mag, it gets "snug" around halfway up into the magwell?

For the first prob, it is as others have said. The mag springs need some working in to relax them a bit.

For the second problem, take the slide off and look down into the magwell to see what/where it is getting tight or binding up.

Also, does this happen with different mags or just one of them?

In the worse case scenario, you or someone else may have tried to load too many rounds into the mag and forced it up home. That might have made some rounds try to "escape" out the sides of the mag, bending or distorting the sheetmetal. lol They'd have to be pretty determined (and strong!) to do that however.

You might be having BOTH issues! lol Let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
The magazine sticking on loading part way up the mag well is do to the square top of the magazine hitting the square bottom edge of the magazine release button. I think S&W thought the tapper of the magzine was going to be enought o preclude this but it is not. You will note if you insert with the mag leaning from the ejection port side at the bottom in towards the take down lever side you will feel no catch. I solved this on mine with a small tapper on the mag with a file at the catch point. It helped some.

CHECK 360

David Bowie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts