MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search and read all the other posts about the rounds rattling in the magazines and I've read the proposed solution about a metal shim in the body.

It just seems to me that we shouldn't have to cobble together a fix for the rattling magazines issue and was wondering if anyone knows if S&W will address this issue?

It wouldn;t normally be a problem but this is my duty gun and while clearing a building the other night, I clearly noticed the sound coming from my pistol.

Is anyone aware of a new generation of magaiznes being developed by S&W or any other fix being offered?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not a big fan of noisy mags either.It takes away from the solid feel of the gun. But they do function 100% and that's what really matters. Just FYI, SIG magazines rattle too and so do some of the 3rd Generation S&W autopistol mags.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well they do function 100% but my magazine being a target indicator does matter a bunch. Being located by the bad guy before I locate him may result in me being shot or stabbed or my cover facing the same fate.

Not that it matters, but I have seven Sig pistols and none of my magazines rattle

·
Registered
106 Posts
Believe me, I hate the rattle too. I highly doubt that a perp will hear the rattle since you would need to be moving pretty aggressively to make the mag move around that much and if you are moving in that fashion you'll be making a hell of a lot more noise than the mags.

Maybe you just haven't noticed the SIGs rattling? Look at my user name, I have owned at least 25 SIGs over the past 20 years and most of them had noisy mags..especially the 9mm guns. You are a very lucky guy if none of your SIGs rattle.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I know that the newer mags I have in stock have a gray follower. Havn't looked to see if its any different. Maybe someone with the newer mags will chime in if they rattle.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
matt7184 said:
Never had a rattle with my gray follower mags.

Are all the newer mags coming from smith gray follower models now?

Yes

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have to look into the gray followers. The rattle may be a small thing to some, but it could directly effect my safety and I don't cut corners when it comes to that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Any difference in the black followers compared to the gray? I havent seen the gray followers yet, but Im doing the transition for my PD to the MP and we all have black followers, I believe.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I'll try to compare today. maybe just a different plastic being used, I'm not sure.

More than likely smith Customer service knows nothing about this either.

Left hand right hand thing.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I think I found an answer to the mag rattling problem. anyone have a recording and willing to take a pic or two to seeif the rattling issue I sorted out is similar to what people are complaining about?

gotta run, I'll post more info later tonight.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Ok, looked through my stash, Gray followers are only on the 9mm that I have, and the ones that are black are exactly the same.

Maybe a color change so you don't mix them up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know that stuffing an 18th round in the 9mm mags stops the rattleing plus you get an 18th round. It's Win/Win.

I don't know what to do with the .40's. See if they'll hold a 16th round I guess.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spoke yesterday to a very nice CS rep at S&W who said they were aware of the issue and pretty much said that it's just how it's going to be. He said the issue is normally with the shorter JHP rounds with the greatest offender being the Speer Gold Dot round. The magazines were designed to accomodate even the longest factory rounds, he said, so the short JHP rounds will rattle. There is no planned "fix" in the works and no plans to modify followers or mag tubes.

Well, my PD requires us to carry the Speer Gold Dot 180 grn round so I guess I'll just hafta put up with it or go back to the issued Glock 22.

·
Registered
201 Posts
hppd648,

We carry the Gold Dot as well. Some of our mags rattle too, but it hasnt had any effect on them, they've been super reliable. I havent found or seen it to be an issue.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My 9mm M&P made its maiden trip to the range tonight. It is a MPH8 and has grey followers. One of the two mags rattles when loaded with more than 12 and less than 16 rounds. I had two cases tonight were there where 2 rounds wedged together in the mag tube. The other mag never rattled and never jammed up. OH, I know the difference in the two since I always mark mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts