MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else experiencing a very light magazine release button on their compacts? There is no question that the mags lock in the grip tightly but it seems an ever-so-slight push of the magazine release button will result in a dropped mag. Twice now I have discovered after carrying my gun in an IWB while driving that the mag release has accidentally engaged causing the mag to drop. I think this is more of an issue with LH carry as the magazine release button faces outward and if the button is "soft" and/or extends too far out you have a potential problem. I would like to see more tension required to release the magazine. Once again, the solution may down to the spring - appears the slide stop spring is the cause of another problem some folks are experiencing: the slide locking back on the last round and/or the the design of the mag catch itself. If I am the only one experiencing this then it's a case of stuff happens. If others are too, then it appears it's one more thing S&W has to take a look at with this gun.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I agree that the mag catch spring should be a little stiffer. And you should have to push the mag catch in further before it could allow the mag to come out. But I haven't had any problems with mine yet.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YukonGlocker said:
I agree that the mag catch spring should be a little stiffer. And you should have to push the mag catch in further before it could allow the mag to come out. But I haven't had any problems with mine yet.

Time will tell how well and for how long the M&P mag catch holds up but I'll draw an analogy with the Keltec P3AT where the mag catch itself after a certain amount of firings, say 500 plus rounds, starts getting chewed up a bit causing the mag to actually drop while firing - a fairly common occurrence. I had this happen with my P3AT. I put in a new mag catch and problem resolved. For those who have experienced the M&P mag dropping out while firing, it's something to think about as a possible cause but I couldn't say for sure. In the case of the Keletec P3AT, there is actually now an after-market steel mag catch that has proven much more robust and reliable than the OEM part.

According to my local gunsmith (a certified Glock and Sig armorer), it's an issue with all polymer mag catches. He told me he has had problems with Glocks though after thousands and thousands of rounds fired in mine, I have never experienced a failure. The nice thing about the Glock though is that the consumer can order a replacement part and do the install himself.

My intent is just to advise that you keep this in the back of your head. Problems can arise from a multitude of sources. At least in the case of the M&P, you know that the factory will take care of it. I just hate mailing guns back and forth. Yes, to the need for a harder-to-engage, i.e. stiffer mag release in theM&P.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Kraig, you are a prime example of bad luck when it comes to the MP. Seems every thing that can go wrong has. I hope it all gets sorted out for you. As for the release button being on the outside for left handers, how does that work? If I were left handed, I would swap the release to the right side for thumb release. This would put the release on the inside when holstered wouldnt it? Im not left handed, so I dont know.

Ken

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kenn1320 said:
Kraig, you are a prime example of bad luck when it comes to the MP. Seems every thing that can go wrong has. I hope it all gets sorted out for you. As for the release button being on the outside for left handers, how does that work? If I were left handed, I would swap the release to the right side for thumb release. This would put the release on the inside when holstered wouldnt it? Im not left handed, so I dont know.

Ken

Kenn, of the two problems I have experienced, one has already been solved (slide locking on the last round - a new spring took care of that. Easy fix).

As for moving the mag release button...although I am LH I have never had a problem with a right handed button - we lefties learn to adapt
so I have no intention of converting it to true LH mode though it's nice to have the option. As to the reported cases of mags dropping while firing (has not happened to me) and the accidental engagement of the mag release button causing the mag to drop while the gun is holstered (happened a couple of times to me), I believe both are attributable to the lightness of the mag release. The mag release mechanism in the M&P needs to be stiffer.

Postscript: As we speak, my gun is off to S&W for a look-see. It seems the more I shoot, the weaker the mag release becomes which suggests that the mag catch is getting worn. Worse case scenario, the frame is out of spec in which case, it will have to be replaced. I spoke to the S&W rep on the phone this morning and yes to the fact that they are having problems with the 1st gen M&P mag catch. I'll post an update soon. My advice would be to keep an eye on the tension of your mag release button. Mine started out fairly stiff but the more I shot the gun, the weaker it become suggesting wear on the mag catch itself.

Good info here by the way - evidently my problem is nothing new:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...&highlight=

·
Registered
692 Posts
Mag Release

I posted something similar to this some where else...

I had the mag drop problem both while firing and re-holstering. I resolved it by removing some stock from the release button and switching to "left hand" release (I'm right handed). The firing problem was my grip and shortening the button and shifting it to the outside position in the holster cleared up the other issue.

Not a perfect fix but it worked for me.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Mag Release

luvmy40 said:
I posted something similar to this some where else...

I had the mag drop problem both while firing and re-holstering. I resolved it by removing some stock from the release button and switching to "left hand" release (I'm right handed). The firing problem was my grip and shortening the button and shifting it to the outside position in the holster cleared up the other issue.

Not a perfect fix but it worked for me.

Good that it fixed the problem but bottom line, you should not have had to do any of those things. By the factory's own admission that are experiencing problems with more than a few M&P mag catches. I would have sent the gun to S&W and had them fix it under warranty - they even pick up the tab for overnight shipping - this is where S&W shines so take advantage of it. I may file down a mag release button on a $200 Keltec (and have done so) but not on a $500+ M&P.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YukonGlocker said:
You can order a new mag catch for about $2.50.

I have some on backorder right now.

My understanding is that they have come out with a upgraded mag catch so if you order one, you want to ensure that you are getting the latest part. Also, you can't rule out the fact that your frame may be out of spec causing a weak mag release, and mags dropping. If that is the problem, the only option is to replace the frame. The fact that the weak mag release problem once it starts seems to get worse, suggests (and was/is was the case with the Keltecs) that the mag release catch is getting increasingly worn. My gun is at the factory now and I'll let everyone know the outcome.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got my gun back from S&W today. A week to the day (hard to beat that). Paperwork says they replaced the mag catch as I suspected they would do. I'll give it range test this weekend and report back.

The mag catch is definately something you want to watch out for because my catch started out requiring a normal amount of engagement to drop the mag. The more I shot the gun however the weaker the mag catch became suggesting abnormal wear (I have about 700 rounds through my gun). Not unusual on other guns and quite common with the Keltec P3AT - the mag catch in my P3AT was literally getting chewed-up after only a few hundred rounds. Some enterprising soul introduced a-steel replacement mag catch and it has proven to be a vast improvement in terms of durability. As for the M&P, S&W admits to having problems with the mag catch so it's not a bad idea to order a few spare parts - just make sure you have the latest part. Interesting that the mag catches are currently on back order which may suggest they've had a run on them or they are introducing a re-designed part not yet available to the public.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Interesting thread. I'm so glad I'm not alone here. I shot my brand new 9MM compact tonight for the first time and darned if the mag didn't release after each of my first 5 shots or so. I figured that was was accidently hitting the release button during recoil. I adjusted my grip and the problem seemed to stop, but I was bit put off by having to adjust my grip to something slightly unnatural to avoid hitting the button. I wonder if my issue is the same as others in this thread. That button sure doesn't take much to release the mag!

Also, I noticed that it took 2 or 3 jerks back on the slide to get the first bullet in the chamber. Is this normal on a new gun and something that will fix itself after break in or should I try different ammo? I was using Blazer brass jackets.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mad Max said:
Interesting thread. I'm so glad I'm not alone here. I shot my brand new 9MM compact tonight for the first time and darned if the mag didn't release after each of my first 5 shots or so. I figured that was was accidently hitting the release button during recoil. I adjusted my grip and the problem seemed to stop, but I was bit put off by having to adjust my grip to something slightly unnatural to avoid hitting the button. I wonder if my issue is the same as others in this thread. That button sure doesn't take much to release the mag!

Also, I noticed that it took 2 or 3 jerks back on the slide to get the first bullet in the chamber. Is this normal on a new gun and something that will fix itself after break in or should I try different ammo? I was using Blazer brass jackets.

Do not worry about the "2 or 3 jerks back" on the slide. Sling shot that slide, don't be shy.

As for the weak mag release button, sounds like you have the same problem as many of us and unfortunately, it only gets worse as more and more wear is incurred on the mag catch the more you shoot. As I said in an earlier post, the factory acknowledges they are having probelms with the mag catch (some, all, not sure) in the M&P and though I can't confirm, I believe the part has since been re-designed. At any rate, you should send your gun back to S&W as I did and let them fix it. I had my gun back in a week. Big difference. Don't llet this go.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I too have experienced the occasional mag drop with my 40c. I now use a different grip, but I have never had an issue with IWB holsters, but again I am RH. In fact if I still have the problem this weekend, it is off to S&W...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Kraigster414 said:
[quote name='Mad Max']Interesting thread. I'm so glad I'm not alone here. I shot my brand new 9MM compact tonight for the first time and darned if the mag didn't release after each of my first 5 shots or so. I figured that was was accidently hitting the release button during recoil. I adjusted my grip and the problem seemed to stop, but I was bit put off by having to adjust my grip to something slightly unnatural to avoid hitting the button. I wonder if my issue is the same as others in this thread. That button sure doesn't take much to release the mag!

Do not worry about the "2 or 3 jerks back" on the slide. Sling shot that slide, don't be shy.

As for the weak mag release button, sounds like you have the same problem as many of us and unfortunately, it only gets worse as more and more wear is incurred on the mag catch the more you shoot. As I said in an earlier post, the factory acknowledges they are having probelms with the mag catch (some, all, not sure) in the M&P and though I can't confirm, I believe the part has since been re-designed. At any rate, you should send your gun back to S&W as I did and let them fix it. I had my gun back in a week. Big difference. Don't llet this go.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I wonder when it was re-designed- I bought the gun new last Friday. I only shot about 100 rounds last night so I'm going to make one more return visit to the range to determine if I really have a problem, or if it's my grip. When the mag is empty, the button is actually not too light, although I think the weight of a full mag makes the big difference.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think too many folks are having a problem with mags dropping while firing to suggest that it is their grip but I could be wrong. The mag release or tension button test should be done with a fully loaded mag. If the slightest amount of pressure on the mag button will drop the mag, it is too weak. Better if you have other semi autos that you can use for comparison purposes. My gun came back from warranty service with a much more secure (stiffer) release. I know it's a hassle having to send your gun back even if the factory pays the tab but I would do it if nothing else for peace of mind.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just a follow-up. Shot another 100 rounds with my compact 9MM and no problems at all with the magazine release. Who knows maybe just a break-in issue or something. Weird!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mad Max said:
Just a follow-up. Shot another 100 rounds with my compact 9MM and no problems at all with the magazine release. Who knows maybe just a break-in issue or something. Weird!

Good to hear but keep an eye on things. The mag release catch is something that gets increasingly worse if you are one of the unlucky ones with a bad part - this is the result of increased wear and tear on the part itslef. Unfortunately, you don't really notice it until things get really bad. In other words, it doesn't work fine one day and the next day it doesn't.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Today the mag catch on my M&P40Compact released the mag while I was carrying it in a BladeTech IWB holster. Because I had not yet had the mag catch fail during firing, I thought I'd start wearing it around a little to see how things went. Well, things went SNAFU pretty damn quickly. For now, the M&P40Compact is going into the vault where it will sit until whenever this problem gets straightened out. Too bad, as I was really starting to like this little gun.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
politegunner said:
Today the mag catch on my M&P40Compact released the mag while I was carrying it in a BladeTech IWB holster. Because I had not yet had the mag catch fail during firing, I thought I'd start wearing it around a little to see how things went. Well, things went SNAFU pretty damn quickly. For now, the M&P40Compact is going into the vault where it will sit until whenever this problem gets straightened out. Too bad, as I was really starting to like this little gun.

Are you left handed? If so and your mag release is configured for RH, then you are much more prone to accidently activate the mag release while carrying (assuming there is minimal tension) since it is facing outwards. It happened to me with my original mag release button (a #2). The factory replaced it with a #1.

Geez, wouldn't it be nice if these things would just be 100 percent right out of the box?

For what it's worth, the Blade Tech IWB didn't work well for me, no offense to Blade Tech. I have since gone back to my Crossbreed Qwik Clip and am waiting on my KD IWB. It (the Cross Breed) shields the gun better from sweat now that the weather is warmer and the leather is more comfortable on my skin. If anyone wants to do a trade or buy a virtually new LH Blade Tech IWB for the compact, get in touch.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
My 9c started dropping mags every shot at 1000 rounds. also the slide locked back once with last round in mag. A trip to S&W fixed both problems wiyh new mag catch and a new slide stop spring. The spring on slide release is now red,as before it wasnt. I dont know the difference in the spring, but now it works.600 rounds trouble free thru mine now

1 - 20 of 22 Posts