MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide what configuration I should buy in the new 9mm compact, and I would love your opinions on the value (or not) of either the magazine safety or the internal lock. I am not law enforcement and there are no children at all in the household. I would use the gun primarily for concealed carry, and occasionally for shooting some light-hearted competition or IDPA (if I get really brave). I don't see any value in the internal lock right off hand for my purposes, but maybe I am overlooking something? As for the magazine safety, I am undecided. I suppose one could argue that it is another safety device to ensure that the gun never goes off when it shouldn't... What do you guys think? Appreciate your insight and counsel!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm a Corrections Officer and a avid supporter of concealed carry. The internal safety is good and bad. If you think someone is getting your handgun you can drop the mag rendering it useless saving you from getting shot (in theory). Now on the other hand if you preform a combat reload (live round in the chamber while changing the mag) and you need to use that one round for some reason, you wont be able to because of the mag safety. My opinion is get one with out the mag disconnect and get a lot of good training in weapon retention and close strike techniques.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Internal locks, mag disconnects and even external safeties are junk.

This is my personal opinion.

·
Registered
280 Posts
IMHO, the internal lock is better if you've got really mischievous children in the household with you...

However, far better than that is teaching them proper firearm safety and discipline. They won't screw with your firearms if they are knowledgeable about them through your education and guidance.

The mag safety is really situational, and will not likely be needed. I like to practice dry fire without a magazine in, so it would just make it more of a PITA for me, personally.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
60 Posts
Best safety is between the ears. Best storage is a big metal box with a secure lock.

if you have that, you don't need it on the gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts