MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, Im new to this forum. I recentlly bought a M&P Pro 9mm, its my first striker fire, after a few trips to the range I am really impressed with the feel and accuracy of it. As with anything there is always room for improvement. One of the upgrades I want to do is Performance Center 5" ported barrel and slide, looking at the kits, it comes with or with the magazine safety kit, could some one please explain exactly what the magazine safety is (or is not) on my PRO model. thanks in advance

·
Site Staff
9,583 Posts
Welcome!

The magazine safety is a hotly debated safety item, some people like them, some don't, so S&W makes their pistols both ways.

With a magazine safety the trigger is disconnected when the magazine is out of the pistol, so to figure out if you don't know...

MAKE SURE YOUR PISTOL IS UNLOADED AND YOU HAVE AN EMPTY MAGAZINE AT HAND.

With the magazine out, work the slide to make sure the striker is cocked, pointing the pistol in a safe direction pull the trigger, if the trigger feels like its not hooked up, pulls cleanly through without dropping the striker, you have a magazine safety, it ensures the pistol can't fire if the mag is removed.

Now insert the UNLOADED magazine, point the pistol in a safe direction and pull the trigger, this time you should hear an audible click as the striker drops.

If you don't have a magazine safety, it makes no difference if the mag is in or out of the pistol, it will drop the striker either way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok got it, so mine does not have a magazine safety. The gun did not come the a manual and i could not any info about Mag. safety anywhere, thanks!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi to all, Im new to this forum. I recentlly bought a M&P Pro 9mm, its my first striker fire, after a few trips to the range I am really impressed with the feel and accuracy of it. As with anything there is always room for improvement. One of the upgrades I want to do is Performance Center 5" ported barrel and slide, looking at the kits, it comes with or with the magazine safety kit, could some one please explain exactly what the magazine safety is (or is not) on my PRO model. thanks in advance
The purpose of a magazine disconnect is twofold.

It is popular with some Police Officers because it adds the ability to disable your firearm if you are in a fight over control of your weapon. When I was a cop an Illinois state Trooper got in a fight on a traffic stop. The perp overpowered him and gained control of his weapon. During the struggle the Trooper hit the mag button and the mag released but didn’t drop from the weapon. While the perp was standing over the trooper trying to shoot him, but not knowing why the gun wouldn’t fire, another trooper arrived and shot and killed the perp.

Would a citizen be in a fight over control of their weapon and find that feature necessary? That’s up to them. I was in a fight over my weapon, a revolver. I was able to hold the hammer down while the perp was trying to pull the trigger. Another Officer arrived and stopped the struggle. So for me personally; I know it can happen and even though I’m not a cop anymore, I’ll take a magazine disconnect. Do I have to have one? No, and all my M&P’s don’t have it. But I certainly wouldn’t remove a disconnect if I had one.

The other use is a safety. If the magazine is removed, the weapon is in theory safe. I wouldn’t rely on a disconnect as a safety, but it might help a negligent person from killing themselves or someone else.

The good news is that just like at Burger King, S&W allows you to “Have it your way”. :yes

·
Registered
362 Posts
Do the pro models have the billboard engraved on the side of the slide for the non mag safety models, saying the gun will fire with magazine removed?
If yes that would be the easiest way for the OP to determine if their gun has it or not.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I’ll add this, I missed it the first read. I wouldn’t want a ported barrel on a 9mm and certainly not on anything I use as a carry gun. It serves no real purpose on a 9MM. Unless you have used one, you might want to shoot one first.

I’ll also add I have a 1.0 Performance Center 5” C.O.R.E. The trigger on it was the worst of any of my M&P’s. I wouldn’t spend extra money on a Performance Center. That name used to mean something, but I suspect they are playing fast and loose with it now. I don’t think mine was ever in the Performance Center, but it could have just been an inept gunsmith working on it. It went back to S&W twice; they wouldn’t fix it. I had to put an Apex trigger in it.

My LEO SKU’s have the best triggers. My 1.0 LEO guns have better triggers than even my 2.0 Compact.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I was in a fight over my weapon, a revolver. I was able to hold the hammer down while the perp was trying to pull the trigger. Another Officer arrived and stopped the struggle.
A Jordanian citizen, Sirhan Sirhan, around 12:15 a.m. PDT on June 5, 1968, Sirhan fired a .22 caliber Iver-Johnson Cadet revolver at United States Senator Robert Kennedy and the crowd surrounding him in the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles shortly after Kennedy had finished addressing supporters in the hotel's main ballroom. Authors George Plimpton, Jimmy Breslin and Pete Hamill, former professional football player Rosey Grier, and 1960 Olympic gold medalist Rafer Johnson were among several men who subdued and disarmed Sirhan after a struggle.

Kennedy was shot three times—once in the head and twice in the back—with a fourth bullet passing through his jacket. He died almost 26 hours later at Good Samaritan Hospital.

As I recall, the tussle occurred just outside the kitchen area, where Secret Service detail member interposed his finger between the hammer/revolver frame to prohibit even an additional round from being fired as the bent his thumb backwards all the way to the wrist for good measure.

In force-on-force training it has always seemed easier to struggle with the weapon to hold the slide and allow it discharge one time in any safe direction than towards oneself, rather than trying to fight for a tiny magazine disconnect button real estate to drop the magazine that two grown men ? might have their paws wrapped around the base of ? Then, take said paper weight and beat the pookey out of him with it.

No large caliber debate necessary.

Caution: Pseudo-science and / or amateur photos may be embedded in this post.

·
Registered
330 Posts
In force-on-force training it has always seemed easier to struggle with the weapon to hold the slide and allow it discharge one time in any safe direction than towards oneself, rather than trying to fight for a tiny magazine disconnect button real estate to drop the magazine that two grown men ? might have their paws wrapped around the base of ? Then, take said paper weight and beat the pookey out of him with it.
I didn’t mean to imply is was something better than you have learned or were taught in force on force training. I was giving an example of a magazine disconnect saving a life. Something that all of us knew about at the time, and has stuck in my mind, so I shared. The perp had knocked the Trooper to the ground and was standing over him preparing to execute him when the second Trooper killed him. They did not both have their hands on the weapon at the time, and if a shot was fired; the Trooper would have probably been killed. Its just a little real world experience I discuss when we talk about magazine disconnects. File it away in your mind….or not.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
@Toolmaker.
I tried to give a famous account of your story rendition to corroborate the importance of understanding your revolver grab anectdote as it might relate to personal defense. There are a number of reasons why a pistol may not cycle during a tussle, but with / without a magazine disconnect there is at least one round chambered for law enforcement (perhaps not nearly so true for citizens at large). Good accounts can be heard for both sides of the magazine safety "feature" debate.

Caution: Pseudo-science and / or amateur photos may be embedded in this post.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Browning 1911-380 has a magazine disconnect. I found though with the magazine completely out I could press the mag release and hold it in, then gun would then fire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see you think porting is not necessary. I was looking at the same slide in order to get the MRD sight mount. Is there another slide replacement option? Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome fellow pipefitter and smith enthusiast.

I believe the smith with the disconnect also has the words “will not fire without magazine “ or something like that written on it as well

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Welcome fellow pipefitter and smith enthusiast.

I believe the smith with the disconnect also has the words “will not fire without magazine “ or something like that written on it as well
I think the warning is on the slides of the ones without a mag safety along the line of that it “will fire with magazine removed.”

1 - 19 of 19 Posts