MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the slide getting in the way, would it be possible for the M&P to be magnaported? Just a consideration... has anyone tried?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I haven't tried it (not a fan) but the slide shouldn't be a problem. They just burn (EDM) right through the slide into the barrel. At least that's how they used to do it.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I still think it would be effective as well as cool...

:wink:

·
Registered
380 Posts
yes, the M&P can be magnaported. (more obvious now, after the link to the 9mm)

magnaporting really does wonders for a gun, as I've seen them in higher caliber guns and was impressed with the after product.

however, I dont see any of the calibers in the M&P 9/357/40/45 being so hard to handle that it needs this. personal opinion, anyway.

it is kinda cool, i admit... but be careful. if you start magna-porting your guns, prepare to keep doing it. let's say you "port" a .40 - if you get another .40, the recoil is going to be more than you're accustomed to.

dont get me wrong... you may have reasons to consider this, and if so, your reason may void out any sense i'm trying to make here.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
coltman1985 said:
I had my Rem 7mm Magnum ported. I guess I wanted a chance to get a second shot off

I decided my .308 was good for all 48 lower state animals so got rid of the 7MM on return from Alaska. Those things give you a headache.

:twisted:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
That 7 mag is my favorite rifle for hunting, but it sure does bark load and hard even with the porting! My 30-30 I can shoot all day, but not the 7!

·
Registered
291 Posts
The only ported gun I have fired was a 500 S&W. I did shoot a 460 S&W snubby that I thought needed to be ported.

·
Registered
505 Posts
i kinda thought that porting would be good on a .40 compact. although i have never shot one im sure its pretty snappy as i know the .40 full size is.

·
Registered
380 Posts
good point, actually...

the .40c is just as snappy as the full size... but with less handle to hold onto.

i've considered porting the compact... but i want to leave it alone, n case smith bust's out the .45c, at which point i'll sell the .40c.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Although I'm a MagnaPort user and know how effective it is on firearms, the only problem with porting an autoloader such as the M&P is that porting thru the slide/barrel will throw some of what ejects thru the ports into the slide area.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Berries said:
Although I'm a MagnaPort user and know how effective it is on firearms, the only problem with porting an autoloader such as the M&P is that porting thru the slide/barrel will throw some of what ejects thru the ports into the slide area.

Will this cause a problem while in operation or does it just mean more cleaning?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Alot more cleaning, dirty front sights, not horrible just extra work

·
Registered
100 Posts
Only way around it is to obtain an extended barrel (good luck) and have it ported. That's keeps the gas out of the inside of the slide, but will still deposit some residue on the front sight. I've got a pin gun with what I call a Mag-na-Comp on it. It a compensator that's magnaported. Works like a dream, but does soot up the front sight, which since I'm gettin old is hard enough to see as it is. I paint it flourescent orange and it gets crappy lookin after a 100 rds. or so. Wipe it off, shoot, repaint...Porting does help alot in decreasing muzzle jump though. I shot mine alongside my unported Kimber Eclipse 5" and there's alot of difference in both slow & rapid fire. In the case of the 45ACP, it's not heavy recoil, but all muzzle jump. Been shootin' ported guns since Mag-na-port first hit the scene...Love it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts