MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is media blasting done for purely cosmetic purposes only (to give a 2-tone look), or are there actually any benefits or potential problems long term by doing this to the slide?

·
Registered
936 Posts
since you asked for potential problems, Ill say that the rust inhibition is diminished. Youll have to keep it well oiled for discoloration not to occur.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had mine media blasted and it will begin to rust even if I breath on it wrong. I would not recommend it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use media blasting for preparing parts/slides for refinishing. I use a lot of Brownells Gunkote or Teflon moly spray cans. I got a cabinet sandblaster just to do this sort of thing. I use 120 grit aluminum oxide media just like the directions say. These finishes seem to hold up well and are relitively easy to apply. Never had a rust problem after treatment. Makes nice two tone pistol if your into that sorta thing. (tip) buy the K-phos pre treating fluid for the best results. There are quite a few different colors available through Brownells.

If your gonna do bare stainless, I recomend glass beads for media. The sand/etched finish looks nice but seems to trap moisture. I know some argue it also keeps in oil, but if you were lax on oiling or water made it through and it did rust, good luck removing the cancer unless you wanna re-blast it. My two cents on that....

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm interested in having Dan media blast my mp9 but I want to put a finish on it. Is there a spray on duracoat or some type of teflon based sealant to put on the newly blasted slide that would give it decent corrosion resistence?

otherwise, I'll just be sending it in for a NP3 finish...but I'd hate to wait 2 or 3 months and do a cheaper finish myself. The standard finish on the mp9 is ugly and has to go.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Dan can do the nickel teflon finish which is supposed to be the same thing as NP3. Dan can get it back to you a lot faster than Robar can. I have a NP3'd pistol, but I have no experience with Dan's nickel teflon finish so don't take my word for it that it is the same. Do some homework.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts