MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a new 40c and am considering sending it to Burwell Gunsmithing to have the slide media blasted for that two tone look. :wink: I think the gun looks nice with a two tone look, but I don't know if that would cause any problems to the metal in the long run. :roll: Has anyone had this done to their gun, and if so was it worth it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The only reason to have your gun blasted is because you like the way it looks. Dan has blasted more than one of my M&Ps and even painted one OD green. There is no problem in doing the work and it will in no way effect the performance of the pistol.

It dose appear though that the so-called stainless steel may have a high degree of carbon in it. The higher the carbon content the more likely the gun may oxides. I did have an issue with a little rust but Dan reblasted the slide and then put a really nice clear topcoat over it to ensure the look. To tell you the truth I like the appearance even better than the plain blast. The color is slightly grayer and very uniform. Dan would describe it as looking like it was just oiled. There is no gloss or shine to it at all. It’s pretty flat.

Currently, Dan is trying another finish on one of my guns. You may want to sit tight for a week or so until he gets it done and has had a chance to test it. I am sure he will post some pictures once it done.

The choice is purely cosmetic and yours. You for sure would not go wrong having Dan blast it and spending a few extra bucks on a topcoat to ensure a lifetime look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crossgun, thanks for the info. I think I'll wait until you get yours back to see how it turns out. I also think I would prefer the darker flat gray look. If Dan does post a pic of the end result, please let me know. I'll be looking forward to seeing it. Again, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am also seriously considering a slide melt and media blast. Please post pics of your slide when you get it...I think that is what I will do as well.

Let us know what you think.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
This isn't Crossgun's gun but this is the new finish he was talking about it is teflon nickle. You get the corosion resistance of nickle (which is much better than chrome) and with the teflon imbedded in the nickle it is self lubing. From everything I have read this is pretty much the same thing as Robar's NP3.

Here's a pic:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Awesome. That is the first finish that is really capturing my eye.

Dan, do you do the teflon nickle yourself?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Dan, I want that done to my 40c. 8) How much and how soon could I expect to get it back? And would I have to send the whole gun or just the slide?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts