MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M&P's are finished in melonite which I don't know much about, and of course the standard of finishes Glock's tenifer. Are they equals or is one or the other better? Meaning wear and rust resistance,thanks.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I don't know about Melonite but Tennifer is colorless and penetrates the barrel and slide before the black oxide finish is applied. Therefore the Tennifer doesn't "wear out", the black oxide finish does.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Tennifer is 64 HRC on the surface hardness scale. Melonite is 66 HRC on the same scale (This is per the factory Glock and S&W specs respectively). I think they are both excellent finishes, with Melonite on the S&W being just slightly harder.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I prefer the look of the melonite on the M&P, but my Glocks seem to "take" more abuse. Maybe just me?

·
Registered
23 Posts
m4arc said:
I don't know about Melonite but Tennifer is colorless and penetrates the barrel and slide before the black oxide finish is applied. Therefore the Tennifer doesn't "wear out", the black oxide finish does.

Does anybody know if this also applies to Melonite? It would be nice to know that the finish is still there doing it's job even though the black color on your barrel wear points is long gone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JimVT said:
[quote name='m4arc']I don't know about Melonite but Tennifer is colorless and penetrates the barrel and slide before the black oxide finish is applied. Therefore the Tennifer doesn't "wear out", the black oxide finish does.

Does anybody know if this also applies to Melonite? It would be nice to know that the finish is still there doing it's job even though the black color on your barrel wear points is long gone.[/quote]

If you follow the link above it'll take you to a site that does the Melonite finish, based on what I saw I do think that the Melonite is like Tenifer in that it goes below the surface of the material that it's applied to. Meaning it's protective properties still apply after the surface black is gone, if I'm wrong please correct me, I didn't read every page of the site, I just kind of skimmed over the highlights

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I saw that the lubricating layer has a shallow permeation. I guess the question comes down to "is the color associated with the lubrication layer"? If so, then when the black is gone any lubricating benefits also gone. If the color is associated with the deeper layer then that would mean the loss of color indicated zero melonite present. Given that the slide and barrel are stainless, this is more of an academic question than anything meaningful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts