MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just picked up a 2.0 competitor for duty use. Overall I like the gun, but I noticed the front grip insert is pretty loose or wiggly. Is that common with the metal m&p’s?
Also the trigger was pretty gritty and when I took off the slide I notice that I can push in the striker plunger and it will stay down and not pop up. I know they redesigned it, but I’ve never experienced this before. Once I pop the slide back on it pops back up.

· Administrator
1,422 Posts
I don't own one. But at another forum, someone also complained about the gritty trigger. Later, they said that after a couple of range trips, the trigger was good. No more grittiness. So, give that a chance.

I can't answer the other question.

· Registered
67 Posts
Hey guys,

Just picked up a 2.0 competitor for duty use. Overall I like the gun, but I noticed the front grip insert is pretty loose or wiggly. Is that common with the metal m&p’s?
Also the trigger was pretty gritty and when I took off the slide I notice that I can push in the striker plunger and it will stay down and not pop up. I know they redesigned it, but I’ve never experienced this before. Once I pop the slide back on it pops back up.
The regular Metal we have does not have the wiggly issue, good luck getting your corrected.

· Registered
2 Posts
I just bought the regular metal M&P and noticed after shooting 300 rounds that the front grip wiggles. I bought this one because my 5 inch performance center is in repair for 3 weeks for sheared screws. I am not able to send this one off until the other gets fixed. FML 😒

· Super Moderator
1,103 Posts
My regular metal front now wiggles too. It was fine at first, and I still don’t think I would have noticed if I hadn’t read about it.
Some problems are like that. We're happy as can be till we hear someone else has a problem. Then we look closer and find out we have the same problem. Then we should ask ourselves, "Does it really matter to me?"

My regular concealed carry gun for almost 12 years is an old DUTY model CZ P07 in .40 S&W. I'm still happy with it after 12 years. One of the best shooting handguns I've ever owned/fired. A few years ago I read about the reason the DUTY went away and the 2nd gen P07's came out was an issue called "frame bulge" that would appear up at the front rail section. The plastic frame would gap out from the metal rail section for a little bump of a spot. People complained and returned their pistols for it. When I read about and looked I found mine had the problem. So what. Can't see it unless I remove the slide from the pistol and it shoots so good I'm not getting rid of it. I'll shoot it till it dies and then put the slide on a 2nd gen 9MM frame (CZ doesn't make many .40's these days) and keep shooting it.

If it affects function I'll address it. If it's cosmetic and the darn thing works and shoot good I'm not sweating it.

· Super Moderator
1,103 Posts
On another brand specific forum I belong to that's advice I see often when a new owner mentions the trigger is draggy/gritty. Either shoot it 500 rounds or buy some snap caps (or use an o-ring - hammer fired pistols, to stop the hammer from hitting the firing pin) and do 500 dry fires with it and the trigger will smooth out quite a bit.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On another brand specific forum I belong to that's advice I see often when a new owner mentions the trigger is draggy/gritty. Either shoot it 500 rounds or buy some snap caps (or use an o-ring - hammer fired pistols, to stop the hammer from hitting the firing pin) and do 500 dry fires with it and the trigger will smooth out quite a bit.
I took off the front grip and epoxied it. Problem solved. Then I added an overwatch trigger. Also problem solved.

I noticed the slide jumped to the left during dry fire so I added an apex barrel. Didn’t fix that problem. Oh well.

For what it’s worth I sent the gun back to smith and Wesson for the grip and trigger safety plunger sticking. They sent it back a month later saying both problems were fixed. However they literally did nothing to the gun. Probably my last MP.

· Super Moderator
1,103 Posts
Sorry to hear that. You'd like to think they'd fix it, not just because of what it cost, but because they made it, you bought it and you have issues with it and they want to insure their customers are happy with what they buy.

· Registered
3,162 Posts
I took off the front grip and epoxied it. Problem solved. Then I added an overwatch trigger. Also problem solved.

I noticed the slide jumped to the left during dry fire so I added an apex barrel. Didn’t fix that problem. Oh well.

For what it’s worth I sent the gun back to smith and Wesson for the grip and trigger safety plunger sticking. They sent it back a month later saying both problems were fixed. However they literally did nothing to the gun. Probably my last MP.
That’s very unusual.
S&W CS has always been more than first rate with me. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I’d call back and ask for whoever answers supervisor; then ask them to find out why you received such poor (as in “nothing done”) service, then tell the super that you want your new gun to be made right!

· Super Moderator
1,103 Posts
That (Apex barrel) made the biggest difference on my 2.0 5" 9MM. The Apex trigger is awesome but it didn't help the pistil shoot better. The Apex barrel and finding that Winchester 124 grain FMJ NATO ammo was "well liked" by the Apex barrel changed that pistol around.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts