MP-Pistol Forum banner

Metal competitor problems

12K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  ShipWreck 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Just picked up a 2.0 competitor for duty use. Overall I like the gun, but I noticed the front grip insert is pretty loose or wiggly. Is that common with the metal m&p’s?
Also the trigger was pretty gritty and when I took off the slide I notice that I can push in the striker plunger and it will stay down and not pop up. I know they redesigned it, but I’ve never experienced this before. Once I pop the slide back on it pops back up.

#33 ·
Popping off the front strap from inside the magwell is very easy. Adding a few tiny drops of vibratite along the inside corners of the front strap and snapping it back on solves the moving issue. Cheap and easy and non permanent.

now my biggest issue is the peep hole in the barrel hood. Keeps my optic lense dirty and I can’t find an aftermarket alternative in stock anywhere

#34 ·
By "peep hole" do you mean the loaded chamber view port (darned if I can remember, right now, what S&W calls it?) Not sure you can do much to fill/cover that hole.

Maybe I've never shot mine enough at one range session to "see" the problem you're having. What kind of ammo do you use? Some is dirtier than others. I noticed Winchester 115 grain FMJ (what they call Winchester White Box) ammo is dirtier than anything I've ever shot. I was shooting it in my AR15 9MM carbine and it blacked up the whole right side of the upper and lower receivers. My right hand/fingers had the smoky black stuff all over them from operating the mag. release and just shooting it. Is your brass blackened from the case mouth a good ways back towards the case rim on one side after it's ejected? That's a sign of low pressure. The cartridge doesn't build up enough pressure to expand the case against the chamber walls and seal the burning powder/gases and some of it seeps to the rear and dirties the gun up more than usual. And, some powders just burn dirtier than others (create/leave more flakes/burnt or unburnt pieces and black residue).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.