MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miami TV Reporter Arrested for Entering School Property With Gun

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A television reporter investigating a story on school violence was arrested after carrying a loaded gun onto school property, authorities said.

Jeffrey Weinsier of WPLG-TV, an ABC network, was taken into custody Tuesday at Miami Central High School after ignoring several warnings not to walk on school property, Miami-Dade schools police said.

"Kindly go across the street now," an officer is shown telling Weinsier during the videotaped encounter.

"I'm not," Weinsier replied. The officer then handcuffed him.

Weinsier, 40, was charged with possession of a firearm on school grounds, trespassing on school property with a weapon and resisting officers without violence.

The photographer working with Weinsier, Frank Debesa, said afterward: "Jeff did have a gun on him."

Weinsier began carrying a gun after he received death threats stemming from a series he did about unsanitary conditions at restaurants, according to the station.

"At this point, Channel 10 is still reviewing the circumstances surrounding today's arrest," said Dave Boylan, the station's vice president and general manager.

Weinsier has a concealed weapons permit, but state law prohibits anyone from being armed at schools, police Detective Ed Torrens said.

Weinsier was released from jail on $11,000 bond.

"I've been advised not to say anything," he told Channel 10 afterward. "The videotape speaks for itself. ... I was not trespassing."

A telephone message left on his work voice mail by The Associated Press was not immediately returned.

The way this story reads I think this guy is an idiot, but as with all liberal media, you can't believe everything you read. He makes all of us who carry look bad. One point for the anti-gun peoples.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
In Texas, unless he physically ENTERED the school with the gun, then he was in the right.

Oddly enough, i can carry on the walkway in front of the school, but can't smoke while walking there... :roll:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grimwulff said:
In Texas, unless he physically ENTERED the school with the gun, then he was in the right.

Oddly enough, i can carry on the walkway in front of the school, but can't smoke while walking there... :roll:

Vermont is questionable. I simply don't carry on school grounds cause I don't want any trouble, then again the only time I am on school grounds is when I am driving School Bus. It IS illegal to carry on a school bus in Vermont.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
hmm thats a tough one like the guy said you can see the video tape he has a good reason to carry I just hope if he was in the right he will not lose his cwp..

·
Registered
372 Posts
In Michigan, you can not carry on school property but you may have a pistol in the car if you are dropping off or picking up a student. The penalty is $500, state civil infraction, and CPL suspended for 6 months for the first infraction.

The sad part is that the officer gave him a chance to leave the grounds. During my CPL class, one of the great quotes was "during the stop, it is not the right time to argue the constitutionality of the stop. Just say 'yes officer' and move on."

MI_Jester

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Most would be surprised to know that you can do it here in California.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
choochboost said:
Most would be surprised to know that you can do it here in California.

Wow so this does happen once in a while

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
With so few permits issued here, they haven't bothered to place too many restrictions on where you can and can't carry. If you can get a permit, its a great state to carry.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The guy is a reporter doing a story on school violence. What are the chances he was just trying to get on campus just so he could turn around and say "See how easy it is to get on campus with a gun?"

I say his plan backfired. Too bad I am jaded about journalists, but they get a kick out of stuff like that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
M47_Dragon said:
The guy is a reporter doing a story on school violence. What are the chances he was just trying to get on campus just so he could turn around and say "See how easy it is to get on campus with a gun?"

I say his plan backfired. Too bad I am jaded about journalists, but they get a kick out of stuff like that.

I think thats a valid angle on this story. I don't trust the media.

·
Registered
52 Posts
He should know better, along with a ccw comes responsibility. You must know where you can carry and where not to. In my state it can be a felony to carry in those areas. And as always ignorance is no excuse to break the law. And I think more than just liberals would agree a public school is no place for a firearm, permit or not.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've read a few other articles on this, and from what I can tell, he was in the right. He should sue and win, and the arresting party should be fired. He violated no law, he was on a sidewalk not in the building which is the local law. He was asked to leave the scene and refused to do so because the officers would not ask the others present to leave, which is a no no. You cannot selective enforce the law, either the officer instructs everyone to leave or no one. The arresting party was having a power trip, and if you watch the video of the incident it is obvious the man was well out of line. Him having a concealed weapon was an after fact, the law didn't even know he had it until he was arrested. He had a CCW because the man had received death threats. Again he broke no laws and should sue sue sue...

·
Registered
154 Posts
jediihaf said:
I've read a few other articles on this, and from what I can tell, he was in the right. He should sue and win, and the arresting party should be fired. He violated no law, he was on a sidewalk not in the building which is the local law. He was asked to leave the scene and refused to do so because the officers would not ask the others present to leave, which is a no no. You cannot selective enforce the law, either the officer instructs everyone to leave or no one. The arresting party was having a power trip, and if you watch the video of the incident it is obvious the man was well out of line. Him having a concealed weapon was an after fact, the law didn't even know he had it until he was arrested. He had a CCW because the man had received death threats. Again he broke no laws and should sue sue sue...

thanks for the extra background information. i withdraw my previous statements

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
MI_Jester said:
[quote name='jamesr'] And I think more than just liberals would agree a public school is no place for a firearm, permit or not.

YEAH! Because no one EVER gets shot in a school.

MI_Jester[/quote]

+1

·
Registered
501 Posts
jamesr said:
He should know better, along with a ccw comes responsibility. You must know where you can carry and where not to. In my state it can be a felony to carry in those areas. And as always ignorance is no excuse to break the law. And I think more than just liberals would agree a public school is no place for a firearm, permit or not.

Back in my day there were a lot of teachers that I wouldn't have given a 2nd thought to if I'd known they were carrying. Many had carried one weapon or another in the sunny south Pacific or while tourists in beautiful Europe. Of course back then they didn't need to carry a firearm to get and keep our attention

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
mikenkansas said:
[quote name='jamesr']He should know better, along with a ccw comes responsibility. You must know where you can carry and where not to. In my state it can be a felony to carry in those areas. And as always ignorance is no excuse to break the law. And I think more than just liberals would agree a public school is no place for a firearm, permit or not.

Back in my day there were a lot of teachers that I wouldn't have given a 2nd thought to if I'd known they were carrying. Many had carried one weapon or another in the sunny south Pacific or while tourists in beautiful Europe. Of course back then they didn't need to carry a firearm to get and keep our attention
[/quote]

I knew a teacher who would throw books at students... usually pain ensued.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Grimwulff said:
I knew a teacher who would throw books at students... usually pain ensued.

I had one throw a chair at me....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
[quote name='Grimwulff']I knew a teacher who would throw books at students... usually pain ensued.

I had one throw a chair at me....
[/quote]

No wonder you went into the army, you just like stuff thrown at you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts