MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a MP 9mm Compact 4" barrel as my first pistol. I want to get a MP 22 for training, and trying to decide on the newer 22 compact, or the original MP 22 made by Walther. Makes sense to get the one closest to what my main pistol is...right?? I'm very much leaning toward the older model because it is much closer to the size of my 9MM C, ( It has 4.1" barrel) and supposedly the exact same weight, and overall length is almost same as well.
The 22 compact has a 3.5" barrel, shorter grip, and much lighter than the full size 22 and my 9mmC. What I do like about it is it's made in the states by S&W, has exact same sights as my C, the trigger is closer to the 2.0 ( for whatever that's worth) and it's getting great reviews on accuracy and variety of 22 ammo it will eat up.
Price at my local shop will be the same, around $350.

From your experience what will be the best trainer? Thank you for any feedback, and glad to be part of the forum.

Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
I really like my 22 Compact. Last weekend on the rimfire range at out club, I was dinging the 8" steel plates at fifty and eighty yards with budget Federal 36 grain CJHP. SO much fun! Haven't tried to go for super accurate bullseye shooting at 10-25 yards (nor will I lol) but this pistol is loads of fun. Doing basic drills with reloads is a hoot, you can really let her rip :D

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had this full size for a short time then sold it and bought the compact about 4 years ago, I'm happy with it.

I carry the full size 9 and train with the full size 9.

Using a .22 for practice when you carry a bigger caliber is like practicing for a NASCAR race with a Ford fusion, it isn't the same so it is not realistic training. The weight is different, recoil is different, trigger is different, etc, etc.

I use the .22c for shooting critters or to let the kids plink steel plates with. Mine eats everything except Winchester bulk ammo.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The M&P22 Compact is pretty small, and not very similar to your M&P9 Compact.

Be sure to handle one before ordering it. It's a cute little pistol, but some have been problematic. The Walther M&P22 had some issues as well I believe. Not sure if there are still being produced.

I was ready to buy a M&P22 Compact a few years ago, but went with a Taurus TX22 instead. Mine has been OK, and I've replaced the barrel due to manufacturing issues, but I also added a Walther PPQ22. Both the Taurus and the Walther are full-size. Both have been adequately reliable for a .22LR pistol, but I favor the Walther. The PPQ22 is overall a better pistol than the Walter P22, which is not full size and has a cast slide.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Neither. The full size isn’t a S&W or even made here, and the Compact isn’t the correct size or weight.

I keep hoping S&W will create a rimfire for the M&P line like they did with the 617 for the K-Frame line.

They aren’t meant to be replacement for full size training; they are just available for cheap trigger time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciate the feedback. In the end cheap trigger time is what I'm looking for. I'm a new shooter and would love to shoot everyday with my 9, but the cost of ammo adds up real quick, and I figured being new, more trigger time is better than less. I will obviously be using both, the 22 will allow more range time while being great for the kids as well.
I don't carry currently as my state makes it quite the process to get a permit. Now, just looking to shoot as much as I can.
Got the 22 compact in my hand at local shop, nice but I prefer something bigger. The Walther M&P is still being made and available online, and locally. Will get more 22's in my hand, possibly try a few.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Will get more 22's in my hand, possibly try a few.
I wanted quality and couldn’t get that from S&W in a .22. (I haven’t tried the Victory) So I recently picked up a new Ruger Mark IV Competition. I haven’t got to try it out yet, but it sure feels good in my hand. It weighs a lot more than an M&P though. I’ll add an M&P if they ever make a decent one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought the M&P 22 compact about 3 months ago. My purpose was to use it as a subcaliber trainer and fun gun. IMO it serves both roles well. Although not an exact match for most of the others, it's close in many respects. It's a perfect match for my wife's 380 EZ. The grip is very similar to my Glock 48. Not a close match to my Shield except in overall size but what the heck, I'm still putting bullets down range. So far it's been very reliable with a mixed bag of ammo. I did change out the front sight to a Dawson Fiber Optic.

At 15-16 ounces it will be unnoticed when I wear it out bumming around in the woods.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One of the things I have found is that index is crucial in up-close defensive shooting scenarios say from 1-7 yards (and while moving). Many times when "in the zone" it's a smooth draw, prepping trigger as index is acquired, then gun seems to fire first shot itself. It that sense, I believe it's reasonable to think of the Compact 22 as a "trainer" of sorts while focusing on smooth draw fundamentals and fast/accurate index to first shot.

As Super Trucker pointed out, best to train with what we carry, period.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts