MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody experienced any "break-in" issues with their 45's? My first 100-rounds observed three failure to feeds using Blazer Brass 230 gr FMJ. I mean, the failures required me to really force the round into battery. On one particular round, I just put it in my pocket, finished the mag and inserted the round again - loaded the weapon, racked the slide and it failed to chamber from a sling shot load - requiring force to chamber the round. Really strange occurrence.

I experienced break-in issues with my MP 9 which later resolved after a few hundred rounds. I wonder if similar issues are occurring with the 45's.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Be careful firing a round that has been crunched. If the bullet is pushed into the case, even a little, it can exponentially increase case pressures that can result in a ka-boom. Mic the round before firing is my suggestion. I have heard of Blazer being difficult to feed, but can't confirm with 1st hand knowledge (I don't use Blazer). Polish feedramp?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I had no issues. I cleaned and overlubed it and put 250 rounds of Magtech through it with no problems at all. Most comfortable 250 rounds i have ever shot and i was blazing though them. I'm at about 600 rounds with no issues and getting close to 1,000 on my .40 with no issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have just over 1000 rounds through my 45 with no issues, but I have noticed that Blazer Brass is very prone to bullet setback. In fact, I've had several rounds come out of the box with the bullet pushed back in the case. Try another brand of quality ammo and see what happens.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked for set back prior to shooting the rounds. I was looking for something out of the ordinary with these rounds and couldn't see anything wrong. I attributing this to break-in aches and pains and will see what happens during the next outing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problems with Blazer Brass. I used Remington UMC for the first 400 or so rounds, and everything was as smooth as could be. But I purchased Blazer Brass yesterday to go shoot, and out of 200 rounds, I had 3 failure to feed's.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Seems like a lot of people have had Blazer brass issues. Seen it here and other threads. I've had none at all with M&P's or anything else. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I clean and lube every new pistol. I clean with Break Free CLP and lube with TW25B and Rem Oil as a floater. I'm not too concerned, I experience FTExtracts with my MP9 and WWB and have fired almost 800 trouble-free rounds since.

·
Registered
13 Posts
gtmtnbiker98:

Yes, although I don't shoot Blazer, I did experience this when my M&P was new ... with several types of brass. It's most likely not a lube/cleanliness issue ... and don't go polishing that feedramp, at least not yet.

Here's what I experienced. As the round cams/rolls into the chamber, it gets squeezed between the extractor and the slide at the breach face. That's by design ... ensures the round feeds straight and the extractor has a good grip on it coming out. The problem I had was two-fold: a slight "high metal" spot on the slide where the shell rim tried to enter, and an extractor with almost no relief (case entrance angle) on it.

If your jam-up is occurring at the point where the shell rim is trying to enter the breach face area, you may be having the same sort of issue. And a larger rim diameter can be the culprit, but since the hook portion of the extractor actually bumps the bottom of the extractor groove, then the relationship of the extractor groove diameter to rim diameter is definitely important as well.

All of that may sound complicated, but it's really not ... and I probably didn't explain it very well.

Anyway, I ended up removing the extractor, stoning the high metal spot on the slide, and adding a very small amount of relief to the extractor. These parts are hard, so I used an abrasive stone that's used by toolmakers to touch-up tungsten carbide cutting tools. I removed very little metal. Unless you are quite sure of exactly what needs to be done, I would not recommend that you do this yourself. I would send it back to S&W and explain exactly what is happening.

But first, check the rim diameters and extractor groove diameters (use a Vernier or dial caliper) of some of your Blazer ammo that fails to feed. Then measure some of whatever brand you have that always feeds. If the Blazer is larger (and it doesn't have to be much) on either or both measurements, you may have found the problem.

Let us know.

dogfood

·
Registered
100 Posts
Steelshooter said:
I use lots of Blazer brass in .45 and .40. Never noticed this issue but I'll have to check my ammo next time.

I concur. When I shoot cheap I only use blazer blass in my m$p40. I like it better than WWB. No problems yet.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm gonna put a few more hundred through it and see what happens. I'm not quite as confident as others when it comes to gunsmithing and honing metal "high spots." If it comes to that, then I'll let the fine folks at S&W go that. Have to wait and see, though. I want some more break-in time before I place a call to home base.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I owned a Sigma 40F it didn't like Blazer Ammo. I shot a box of 230 Grain Blazers in my M&P45 with no troubles at all. I don't use Blazer but a friend gave me a box.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts