MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back home from a fighting pistol class that i took in florida from the tactical response crew out of camden, tn. I bought a new mp9 a month ago and had about 200 rnds through it before i went to the class. This was a two day class in which I shot around 900 rounds in a short amount of time each day, so there was alot of rapid strings of fire. When I got the pistol, I loved the feel, accuracy, and light recoil of the gun. But, I was holding off judgement until I ran it through this class. Of course, it still needs some more rounds through it before I totally make up my mind, but it made it through this intense class without a single hiccup. On the second day, close quarters expert Paul Gomez showed up at the class and claimed that his crew had an mp with over 6000 rounds through it without any problems. It seemed that all of the glock guys were pretty impressed when Gomez mentioned this. As far as the class goes, I would definitely reccomend it. James Yeager and Allen Webb from Tactical Response were the instructors. Great information on mindset and tactics for making it through a gunfight. We were taught the basics as well as tons of information and techniques which would certainly be considered of a more advanced nature. It was a fast paced and intense two days. Many many different shooting drills including accuracy, movement, retention, one handed, off handed, reloads, malfunction clearance, reloads with one hand, fighting to cover and more. It was great and the mp did us all proud and the people in that class noticed. I think we have a winner.

·
Registered
41 Posts
great post

Ironically, it was a similar experience at a gun class taught by Gabe Suarez that led to my purchasing the M&P40 in the first place. There were only to people in the class who didn't have any problems with their guns in two days of shooting one glock (and there were at least four) and the only M&P. The M&P made a big impression in that class as well. Love to hear more about your experience and the drills you covered.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Great to hear, both about the TR class and the pistols reliability. Those TR guys really love their glocks... like red stained upper lip cool-aid mustache love...

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
6000 rounds really isn't that much boys when i lost count at double that with my origional M&P, and not a problem.

I know MR Bowie has tens of thousands of rounds through his.

It all depends on the pistol also, there are some that had a broken striker after firing 100 rounds, then there is me at the other extream with an earily MPA with no problems at all.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm surprised James didnt say something negative about the pistol. According to him, he was sent an early model for T&E purposes and sent it back to them with a note saying "Try again". Perhaps this will helo to change his mind, though I doubt it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
class

I've got a CLEET qualification course next week with about 400 rd count and a Tom Givens Combat Pistol 2 course the weekend after that with about 1400 rd count. I"m thinking of using my compact in both but may use the full sized. Decisions, decisions. I carry the compact but shoot the full sized in USPSA.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NCPatrolAR said:
I'm surprised James didnt say something negative about the pistol. According to him, he was sent an early model for T&E purposes and sent it back to them with a note saying "Try again". Perhaps this will helo to change his mind, though I doubt it.

At the beginning of the second day, we were in the class room and James was discussing different pistols and types of pistols. In my class there were 10 glocks, 1 sig, and my mp. Well, one italian guy was using a berreta the first day but swithched to a glock the second. Anyway, James talked about the sig a little and mentioned it being a good gun, then turned his attention to me and the mp. He asked if I had any problems with it and I said no. He then stated that he had only seen a very limited number in his classes so far and that he couldn't make any judgements yet, but he hadn't had anybody with problems yet. He then asked Paul Gomez what he had seen so far with the mp and that is when Gomez said that they had one with over 6000 rds with no problems. Yeager responded with "good enough for me" and we moved on. After that, some of the class started asking about it a little. There is one thing that i have noticed so far and that is the glock people seem to be much quicker to accept the mp than they are the xd. I'm not sure why, but that is how it seems so far. As a side note, later that day there were about four of us discussing the mp and Gomez was answering some of their questions about it and he did say that the rear sights are terrible and he pointed out why and his reasons made sense to me. Anyway, I was expecting Yeager to be a little abrasive, but was far from it. I enjoyed the whole thing and everyone there. Great time.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Where in Florida did you take that class?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ClosetCaseNerd said:
There is one thing that i have noticed so far and that is the glock people seem to be much quicker to accept the mp than they are the xd.

Mr Yeager has commented that have had quite a few go down in classes I believe...
Yes, I have seen him mention that quite often on his forum. But, I have really noticed it on the various boards. TheFiringLine.com is pretty much a pro-glock board and they talk about the xd like it is a rag, but they generally have good opinions of the mp. Same with glocktalk. Now, don't get me wrong, I have an xd40 and it has been very reliable in a limited number of rounds. The reason for my preference for the mp lies in the comfort, low bore axis which really helps with the muzzle flip, and overall handling. Something about the grip of the xd just isn't as good as the mp for ME. In my opinion, the xd improved on the grip angle over a glock. Then, Smith came along with the mp and added a few other features that are attractive to go along with the grip angle. Of course it will be quite awhile before either can make claims of glock reliability.

·
Registered
190 Posts
m4arc said:
[quote name='nikon777'][quote name='m4arc']Good report! I'm running my M&P through a class next month.

TDI by chance?
[/quote]

No, LAV.[/quote]

M4arc, which class are you doing with LAV next month?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good report on the course. Glad the M&P did you proud. TR runs a good course, had the privalege of taking one a couple of years ago. Wish I had the $$$'s to do another, but there's only so many $$$'s for new guns, ammo, IDPA, travel, etc. Sigh!

And now it looks like I'll be saving some money for an M&P pro.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts