MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is thinking of getting an ar. What can you tell me about the mp ar15?

Are they perty good? Are their any issues with them?

Dad wants an M4 style. With the new promo of getting a sigma for 99.00 though it might be worth looking into.

thanks for the help

wendelin

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Hell yes they are good, I personally wouldn't own other AR unless it had the name COLT stamped on it. Even then I would have to think about it for a minute. Take a few minutes to search this forum and you will see with overwhelming results that the Smith and Wesson M&P15 series are kicking ass and taking names. Here is a chart to get you started.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I consider the M&P15 to be a very good value in the AR market. I would prefer it if they came with M4 feedramps but they aren't necessary for me...just a nice to have. They also only come with a 1:9 twist which is standard but some folks prefer a 1:7 twist. I have several carbines with each and I'll be damned if I can tell a difference but I mostly shoot 55 & 62gr.

I like how some of the models come with Troy flip up sights but I'm not a big fan of the Troy rails that clamp around the barrel nut. I would prefer they mount like the LaRue or Daniel Defense rails but it's not a deal breaker.

The M&P15A is the model that I would get but I wouldn't pay more for it than say an LMT or Colt. All things being equal I'd spring for an LMT or 6920 but if I came across a good deal on a M&P15 I'd probably buy it.

ETA: I just check G&R Tactical's prices on the M&P15A and he's asking $910. That's pretty good. By comparison an LMT would run you $945 but you would still need to buy the Troy rear flip-up ($130) and a side sling adapter ($25).

The only thing(s) I'd do to it is replace the bolt carrier with a M16 carrier and I'd change buffer with an H buffer but those are personal preference items and not a necessity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts