MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at The Sportsmans Warehouse a couple of weeks ago, I was talking to the clerk at the pistol counter. I told him I was waiting for the MP 45 and I already had a full sized MP 40 caliber and a MP 9mm compact. He said the compact is really a sub-compact and the full sized is a compact. Is he right? If so, what is the difference between a compact and a sub-compact? :?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Unlike the government does with automobiles there aren't any real standards as to what constitutes Full Size, Compact or Sub-Compact with regards to pistols.

That said - - - My .40 full-size is smaller than my old Glock 17 full-size and just barely larger than a .40 Glock 23 compact.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds like his opinion. It works for glock because the have 3 sizes. M&P only has 2. Last I checked my compact was still called a compact per S&W

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I went to a Sportmans warehouse, they were pushing the Springfield XD sub-compacts pretty hard. He might be comparing the M&P compact to that. If it helps you to compare guns that are named compact, sub compact, etc think of it this way:

Compact: around 3.5 inches

Full size: around 4.5 inches

So the XD has a 3" barrel, making it a small, or "sub" compact. The M&Pc has a 3.5 inch barrel, making it an "average" compact. The full size M&P at 4.25 inches is a "small" full size. But, that's just a rough way I look at them. It helps me compare one gun to another.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts