MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MP shield 40. When I try to put the magazine in it comes up 1/8 inch short unless I jam it in. When I have the slide locked open, the magazine pops in like it should. I can’t seem to figure this out. I don’t want to send it in for repair. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
The magazine springs on shield 40 is much heavier than the shield 9mm.

There’s no pressure against the top of the magazine when the slide is back. But the slide putting a bunch of resistance on the top round when loading with slide forward.

Just think about how hard it is to load that final round of 40 SW into the magazine. When you load a fully loaded mag into the gun. You’re essentially “pushing” that top round beyond where it currently sits. That’s why you have to “smack” it really hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for the reply, the magazine will pop out when fired.
The magazine obviously is not seating well enough to engage properly on the mag catch...or... you are hitting the mag catch with your thumb when firing. A worn mag catch can cause this as well, but you don't say whether your pistol is new or not, so something to consider.
Try to insert mag with one less bullet than full with slide closed and see if that makes a difference.(diagnosis) It also helps to smack the bottom of the magazine into the palm of your hand stoutly, every couple of rounds when reloading it, to help seat the rounds. It takes some effort but you should be able to insert mag while full and slide closed and you have to insure it seated properly. The Shields are not race guns, and as always... read the manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts